Is There a Tax Accountant in the house? -- US

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pimentoLoaf, Apr 10, 2009.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

After my dad died in August, all I kept hearing from my mom was how the estate paperwork eliminated the need for either an attorney or accountant. It was very easy, she said, and there was nothing to worry about until taxes were due in 2009.

Only she failed to get an EIN and feed it to whoever she needed to -- and the IRS.

Now, with less than a week before Tax Day '09, I'm faced with a dilemma. Is it possible to get an EIN quickly and have the necessary ... stuff ... handled before the deadline?

2. ryan macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about your dad.

I can't really answer your question directly but when my dad passed away a couple of years ago it generated a huge amount of paper work (and his estate was in very good order). That paper work was in turn handled by a trusted attorney and accountant/tax professional. I would strongly suggest you find someone to help you and your mom for this year and possible next year as well. Spending some money now to hire a professional should help ensure everything is being dealt with properly and could potentially save you a lot of money down the road.