Is there a text msg limit?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Jul 5, 2010.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

Like how many the iPhone can store before having to delete some?
    Cuz that'd suck. How do i back up my texts?

2. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

i don't think there is but there is one annoying thing going on with my texts/mms pictures.

i have a convo with my gf and there are pics from christmas and so on that no longer show up. all the texts are there, but the pics are not.

can't figure it out.

3. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

No limit at all. I have well over 100,000 on here I'm sure. I generally send 7-10,000 per month.

Though I did set my iPhone 4 up "as new". So I'm having to rebuild :p

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The only text limit that I know of is from AT&T and is measured by your wallet.

5. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

On my 3G, for a while I had never deleted any text messages and would keep all of my conversations. I had several month-long conversations, but I noticed that not only would the SMS app take a while to load, but the entire phone's performance was also affected, so I deleted all of my messages, and my phone began to perform faster.

6. creeman macrumors 6502

Why are people always so obsessed with keeping every single text they send? I see people on here posting they have thousands and thousands of texts messages on their phone. Why dont you delete them every now and then? What is the point of keeping all of those?? Really..?

7. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

that changed with one of the iOS updates. the whole conversations are no longer loaded in their entirety. they are loaded by most recent # or MB amount...something like that. to get the whole convo, you have to go to the top of the screen and keep hitting 'load earlier messages'. this was done because of the problem you are/were having.

8. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Mainly I talk to like 2-3 different people ALOT. The others I do delete usually. But I have no reason to delete my main ones. I just leave em open for the next time I text them.

And sometimes when I drink I like to scroll through and see what I said to random girls I got phone numbers from :p

But it's not like it slows my phone down. Sp yep. It's just what I do. To each their own.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

reference.

you need a GF or BF or something. believe me. a couple months from now i am going to have to look back and forward her something that she forgot and is pissed at me about...:D

10. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

This!!! It has come in handy ALOT of times in cases like this!

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Why does it matter to you?

Sometimes, important things happen and the message is sent by text. People like to be be keep those things for as long as they want.

Others (like me) just don't want to be bothered with cherry picking messages to delete all the time to free up space, and are happy just letting the phone do its thing and archive the messages.

And so everyone knows: there actually IS a limit to the text messages you can store. Prior to 1.1.3, the limit was a paltry 1,000. Starting with 1.1.3 and later, the limit was raised to the current 75,000.

12. reservedegotist macrumors regular

10000 a month?
    Holy ****

You must be a god at typing by now.

13. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I like to think I'm pretty damn good at it. Been using the iPhone virtual keyboard since the original iPhone launch. Texting is so much better then phone calls to me lol

14. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Back when Cingular only offered 3000 texts for 19.99 per month. I always had to be cautious. And the overages wasn't to bad though. I think it came out to 10 bucks per 1000 texts I went over. So I paid around 30 extra for overages monthly.

Soon as they went to unlimited for 19.99 in early 2007. I jumped on it with the quickness.

15. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

thats what im wondering, i dont get it, whats the point of keeping text messages? i guess everyones different.

16. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

17. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Yep. But also I use around 20 minutes total talk time per month. Maybe even alot less then that sometimes.

What can I say? Ha I enjoy it much more then talking

18. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Exactly. I don't want any evidence remaining on my phone. :D

19. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Yes there's a limit folks. I always thought it was 100K but I don't know based on the previous people saying they have more than that in their inbox. I've reached the limit a few times (1-2 times a year) and a message pops up when you open the Messages app that says "Your SMS inbox is full. You cannot receive messages until you delete some messages." So then I clear out all my old conversations with people from months back.

20. creeman macrumors 6502

I have a gf. But I dont feel the reason to look back months in our relationship to bring something up.

21. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

point is that some people like to keep the texts, some dont. To each their own.

22. creeman macrumors 6502

To each is own is right, not trying to start an argument, just always thought it was weird people would even come close to the text message limit...

23. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

well I think people that erase every message as soon as their done texting as weird :p so different strokes for different folks :p

24. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

i keep them cause i'm lazy, i text a lot too but it's cheaper this way.. sharing a family plan with 5 people.. 700 total minutes but unlimited txt.. only 2 of the people on the plan ever use minutes so we have thousands and thousands of minutes built up, i prefer to text a lot or e-mail because I'm in public situations a lot and it's more private than having the whole world listen to your conversation

25. B Gallagher macrumors regular

Well found! But that KB article (last modified October 2008) says it only applies to the original iPhone and the 3G. I'm wondering if this doesn't apply to the 3GS onwards, or if Apple's simply forgotten to update this one. :p