Is there a thin headphone jack adapter to work with the Bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Errk!, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Errk! macrumors 6502

I like the Bumper but it sucks not being able to plug a standard auxiliary cable into the phone while the Bumper is on. It seems only the Apple ear buds will fit.

I use auxiliary cables quite a bit - does anyone know of an adapter which is thinner than the end of a "normal" cable that would allow regular cables (or headphones) to be plugged in to it?

2. Rubey81 macrumors member

I agree with you it is annoying that with a bumper I can not plug in the line in chord from my car to listen to it when I drive.:mad:

3. marddin macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure all auxiliary cables have the bulk at the end of it. Your best bet would be guitar center or radio shack.

Something I would try is trying to mod your original aux cable. I'm looking at mine that I use in my car and it seems like the rubber bulking around the end of it is just for grip. You might be able to just pull it off or cut it.

Understand? Sorry for confusing text but that idea just came to mind as I was typing my reply.

4. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'd rather not mess with that though.

It seems that if the Apple ear buds have the thinner end there has to be something out there similar, whether it's an adapter or the cable itself.

5. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

There used to be an adapter for the original iPhone, which had a deeper headphone hole than the bumper case. I think Belkin made them, although don't quote me on that. You might still find them on eBay.

- Steve

6. coelacanth macrumors 6502

Yep, the original iPhone had recessed headphone jack and some manufactures made adapters to bypass that. I have a Belkin one from then and still use it when I use Aux in on Zipcars because the audio cables on those cars got huge connector so many cases can't accept it.

Maybe you can still find one on ebay for cheap.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Reposted from another thread.

8. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I was able to find an adapter at best buy made by rocketfish for 5.

It wa a little longer and stiffer than I would have liked but it's a temporary fix.

I have seen small soft ones on amazon that look a little better.

With the rocketfish connected to my monstercable in my truck I feel like I risk breaking it off inside the phone because the part extending from the phone is so long.

This is a problem with lots of cases.

9. SanDiegoTech macrumors newbie

gadgetboost has an extender

I found a very inexpensive alternative that works with to extend the iPhone 4 with bumper at gadgetboost.com. I had been so very disappointed by the docking issues. I have spent good money on decent docks and there is no way I am going to remove the bumper.. :cool:

10. boardrfolife macrumors newbie

I took a dremel to mine, shaved the excess plastic off the aux cable works amazing. You can also use an extacto knife...b careful

11. Errk! thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen several thinner cables out there recently. I think I got a decent one at Radio Shack. Pretty easy to find nowadays.