Is there a tiger for intel and a tiget for power pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caddy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Caddy macrumors member

My X has a copy of Tiger at his house that he says I can have. He doesn't know if this is exclusively made for his intel machine. I don't know either. Is there just one version of tiger or two?

I have a g3 power pc.

2. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Tiger preceded Intel by about 8 months, so Tiger had to be re-written to accommodate it. I'm guessing the newer, Intel-happy build will still work on older models though.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

these are the disks that came with his intel machine? They may well be set to only work with his type of machine in which case they wont work with your PPC

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And all retail versions were PowerPC only.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Ah, so you couldn't buy Tiger for Intel? Makes sense, it'd come with the machines anyway. Too bad for the OP!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, exactly. Of course, you could buy replacement install discs for your Intel machine if something happened to the originals. These included all bundled software though, not just the operating system. :)

7. aquajet macrumors 68020

To clarify, there was always an Intel version of Tiger developed alongside the PowerPC version. In fact, there were Intel versions of OS X from the very beginning, but it wasn't until Tiger that it saw the light of day.