is there a time constraint to installing 7 via bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pedalpwr, Mar 4, 2011.

1. pedalpwr macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm hoping my new mbp arrives today - fingers crossed.
    It's my first mac, and I intend to run windows 7 via bootcamp. I'm wondering if there is any benefit/loss to installing windows right away (before much playing in OSX), or can I basically install after some osx exploration/installs/etc?

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

2. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Hmm. That's a great question and the first time that I have ever seen anyone ask that.

My daughter got her first MBP several months ago with the idea that I would install W-7 as well. Now she says "Forget it for now, I'm fine". I am glad because it forced her to learn her way around OSX. It's not tough, but it would have been easier for her just to get confused and instead of learning, just jump out to W7.

I have used a Mac for about 4 years now, and did not install any windows OS for the first two years, because of budget constraints and because I was so interested in operating in OSX. If I would have had a windows disc when I started on mac, I still probably would have waited while I acclimated (I mean I already knew what windows was all about). It would have been too easy for me back then, to simply jump out of the Mac when I ran into a hurdle and would have never let OSX become second nature.

Frankly, the only reason why I put windows in was to run a windows based multi-tracker that I sometimes use in my studio. I still only use windows for that and some games and the better TV media software in WMC (no flame war please). I

i feel confident that you will be amazed at how much you will like OSX for most of your needs instead of windows.

So my advice, run your mac and enjoy it, and then when you say "I will never return back to a PC", that will tell you that you have a handle on OSX and then you can add your windows for whatever purpose (and W7 is just so much better than XP or Vista, and Apple hardware runs windows so much better than a pc).

Hope that all makes sense.

And when you decide to install, there are many good threads here that can assist you if you run into a problem (it's pretty straightforward though).

Keep us updated, and welcome to Mac.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The one advantage to at least setting aside the space required for Windows up front is to avoid filling up the HDD to the point that it cannot be repartitioned on the fly.

I find that dedicating 20-25% of the drive to Windows is decent, so you could use Boot Camp Assistant to do that before you start filling up the HDD.

B

4. pedalpwr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input folks!

I do enjoy mac OS (my wife is a mac girl), but much of the software that I use is still restricted to PC (and I've spent lots of money on this software!! - CAD and stuff), and I'm not excited about purchasing mac versions of much of it either. I've actually decided to get a mac because I've had issues with graphics for some clients that run macs. I want to be able to check work on both OS's when required.

However, I'm stoked to use osx for some things, notably surfing, maybe a bit of graphics/cad - who knows?

My HDD is the 750GB 5400 in the new 17"mbp. I'm thinking that I'll partition 500GB to windows, leaving me with plenty of space to explore OSX.

Oh, by the way, UPS has decided to hold the computer at their facility across town until Monday http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon9.gif

Cheers!

5. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

Nothing better than Macs for that. My nephew works for one of the largest graphic arts businesses here, and they use nothing but Apple hardware:apple:

6. pedalpwr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well - suprise suprise - it's here:) Thank you UPS. I retract any negative connotation I may have leaned toward...

So, I'm listening to some sweet sky.fm reggae. These speakers are quite nice, actually!!! Actually, everything about it is beauty so fa. Just need to get a handle on this delightful trackpad.

So, looks like I gots ta go git me a copy of windows 7, so I can start loading all my software on it.

I guess I'll be visiting here plenty in the days to come.

Yehaa!

7. DonCarlos macrumors regular

DonCarlos

8. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Ive found if i waited too long to partition the drive for bootcamp, its failed and ive had to reinstall osx to get it to work. Not sure if that still happens tho.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's what I was referring to. If you don't set the space apart sooner rather than later it can't partition on the fly.

pedalpwr you can download one of the official ISOs from Microsoft and use that for 30-120 days without waiting. (e.g. http://windowssecrets.com/2009/08/20/01-Use-any-version-of-Windows-7-free-for-120-days). Just activate with your product key when you get one...

Personally, I do not recommend using an OEM/System Builder Edition license.

B

10. pedalpwr thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm - ok, i was just getting ready to go out and buy an oem disk from my local pc builder... Thanks for the notice!!! But I'm not sure why the oem version would be messed compared to a downloaded one. And, I'm just starting to read the instructions for bootcamp, and it says I need a physical disk (maybe I'll be corrected as I continue to read).

May I ask why you don't recommend an oem license?

Thanks!

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

OEM is not licensed for end users (read the license) and the restrictions placed on it's transfer to other computers (or even to a VM) are onerous.

Since you are already OK with using the software outside the letter of it's license you may as well use retail upgrade instead which will be easier to move later and is actually licensed for end users. Sometimes you can even find upgrade cheaper than OEM.

B

12. pedalpwr thread starter macrumors newbie

Roger that. Thanks for your insights. I appreciate it.

13. drbf macrumors member

How much hard disk space did you partition off for windows?

14. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

The OEM (or system builder) version is fine. It's all I ever use.

15. pedalpwr thread starter macrumors newbie

drbf - I ended up partitioning 500GB for windows.

Unfortunately, it's not working all that well yet (I'm in OSX), and liking it:)

In windows, I'm having issues getting beyond the tonka toy low res monitor, as well as that I can't connect to the internet to run the updates. Not enough time to wrestle with this tonight...

If anyone has a silver bullet for this, I'd be happy to hear it.

Cheers!

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Did you install the "Boot Camp" hardware drivers Apple provides usually on the second disc.

B

17. pedalpwr thread starter macrumors newbie

in the process of installing bootcamp on the windows side. I found it odd that the display driver on the OSX install disc is nvidia - i'll figure that one later. The broadcom wireless driver has been installing now for >1/2hr. I'm about to pull the pin on it and see what I can install from the second apple disc. trackpad is working well...