is there a "timed profile switcher" app on or for iphone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by volcom883, Mar 30, 2009.

1. volcom883 macrumors regular

volcom883

hi,
    for nokia phones there is an app you get get which automatically switches the phone profile to silent, normal or vibrate at the times and days chosen.
    has the iphone got this function bulit in?
    if not, could you tell me the name of the app. possibly free.

thanks

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Well that sounds like a great feature to have, but I know it's not built in to the iPhone and I haven't heard of an app that does it. Hopefully I am wrong though.

3. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The iPhone doesn't really have 'profiles' - in my mind, at least.

If it's not set to silent, then it's just set to whatever ringtone and volume you have it set to.

None of that "Normal" "Outdoor" "Meeting" "Car" "LOUD" "etc" profile stuff.

just my 2 cents.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

A 3rd party app that does this isn't possible due to the SDK restrictions (i.e. no background processes).

5. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

Shame. I always liked the idea of a locations based profile switcher. So when you get to work, your phone switches to silent and when you're say out of the office it would switch to loud, and normal say at home.

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

But silent vs. non-silent is a physical swtich .....

7. Hicks. macrumors regular

Hicks.

OK, so how about very very quiet as opposed to completly silent :rolleyes:

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I guess I just don't understand why you would introduce a layer of complication when the normal way, an actual switch, is literally right there.

Having a silent phone is literally a flick away. Having a loud phone is a (dedicated) volume button away. I think profiles were a bigger deal when it was harder to manage the volume on your phone and what not.

But again, just my two cents. I'm sure there's some software out there that will do precisely what you're looking for. I'm just sharing my thoughts on the matter.

9. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Flip the silent switch when you want a silent phone. When you want a louder phone, press the volume up button.

That's all there is to it - these guys are looking for more advanced functionality that's not currently built into the iPhone.

10. volcom883 thread starter macrumors regular

volcom883

thanks for all your replies.
    wow im very surprised to hear that there is no profile switcher on the iphone.

i dont have an iphone by the way. this feature was for my friend who keeps getting sms during the night

11. RcNorth macrumors newbie

profile switcher

I would love to see a a profile app that allows different settings to be changed.

It wouldn't matter to me if I had to select a profile rather than it switching based on location or time.

Here are some of the settings that I would like to see.

Work
    - Wireless off
    - Bluetooth Off
    - 3G on
    - Vibrate

Home
    - Wireless On
    - Bluetooth off
    - 3G off
    - Location Off
    - Ringer on

Car
    - Wireless off
    - Bluetooth on
    - 3G on
    - Location On

12. samcraig macrumors P6

cellocello - it's more than just an on/off "issue" as to why people like profiles.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=792194

When I had a blackberry - I enjoyed having a work setting, home setting, sleep setting and "out" setting

The volume level (or off), vibrate functions, etc were different based on if I needed loud alerts, none, or inbetween. Something that CAN be done on the iphone - but takes a few steps as opposed to selecting a profile. It's a question of convenience and consolidation of tasks.

I bought an iPhone because I didn't want to carry around an ipod and phone. I consolidated my devices. Now I'd love to consolidate some "tasks". Same thing. I know I can go into various settings and change up as per my need. But it would be NICER to just set them up once and then choose as needed.

13. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It takes the same number of step to adjust as a profiles selection does. Silent = flip a switch, loud hold the volume button, not so loud hold the volume button until you get to desired volume.

14. solace macrumors regular

Jailbreak and you can :)

it even can do it based on time of day and GPS!

http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/myprofiles.html

15. samcraig macrumors P6

but that's an all or nothing scenario

what if in one profile I want texts to be audible and other times I want them to be just vibrate. Or both? Same goes for phone calls or other alerts.

if you're not interested or don't see the need for the feature for your own purposes - that's fine. But to say the feature isn't needed in general is obviously not correct since several people have asked/desired this feature.

16. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Hey, thanks for putting words in my mouth! I can do it too. Don't say a feature is needed just because only several people would make use of it and if they don't have it the world will come to an end.

I don't care if the phone does or doesn't have this feature, it's just my opinion that anyone who has to have this feature has bigger issues then whether there phone has this feature or not.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

I don't plan on using MMS. MMS is important to some. Maybe not even the majority. But it's a feature of the phone.

And you're right - you didn't WRITE that the feature wasn't needed. You just implied it. Now twice.

18. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

If you jailbreak your phone there is an app that does exactly this.

In fact a few. One does it by time. So if you're in a callendar event it'll silence the phone.

Another does it based on GPS location. It'll silence you turn on wifi, turn off bluetooth or whatever depending on your locations. It's called iComming. Its free too.

19. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yes, it's isn't needed. Just like MMS, email, games, weather, stocks, calculator, ipod, touch screen and a camera aren't needed on a phone doesn't mean I don't think they should be on the phone or that I would not use them. So many confuse necessity with convenience.

20. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Woahh!!! Off topic. :cool:

21. devonian69 macrumors newbie

I have a JB iphone and I looked around for the program "iComming" for the profiles. I have tried using MyProfiles from Rock my phone or whatever and since I installed Rock software my battery has been draining really fast. Not sure its Rock software but everything was fine until I started installing those apps.

Thanks!

Jim

22. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

So did you find iComming? It should be noted that the more often you tell it to check your GPS location, the more drain on the battery.

23. devonian69 macrumors newbie

Doh, that was the point of my post. I cannot find iComming. I will take another look at MyProfiles and adjust the GPS checking.

Thanks for the super fast response!

Jim

24. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

http://www.occasionics.com/wordpress/?cat=4

That's the developers blog.

25. megapopular macrumors 6502a

Don't knock the guy for wanting something simplified! Profiles could be useful... Profiles can help the forgetful person from interrupting a meeting or conference call by automaically placing a cell phone to silent at 8am each day during the week when that person arrives at work. The iPhone alarm clock let's you set multiple alarm times and days of the week that it will work, so I don't think it would be bad to have the capability for other iPhone functions. Honestly, I can't have my cell phone ringing out loud at work, but the vibrate motor is pretty weak in my opinion and I don't notice it vibrating in my pocket most of the time so I often miss calls. Profiles would be helpful in those types of situations so I wouldn't have to worry about remembering to turn the ringer or silent switch off/on for those specified times like when I'm at work or when I'm usually sleeping.