Is there a tool to check if files are corrupted?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by StressedSnowCat, Nov 4, 2013.

1. StressedSnowCat macrumors member

I want to do a clean install of OS X but I hate having to download the OS. I get really paranoid about file corruption through download. Is there any way I can check my downloaded file is flawless before making a bootable USB? The reason I'm really paranoid is because I already have Mavericks but during the install when it came to the Terms of Use section the part about Game Center was not in English but in my native language! (I always install in English)

Should I be worried?

I also have a G-Tech RAID 5 array that's been giving me trouble lately, one of the drives has been blinking as if in need of replacement but then it seems to fix itself... Nevertheless I'd like to know if the files on the drive have been corrupted, this has happened twice already. I have important data on there such as my company logo in vector form (it's the only copy). I want to back everything up on another system but first I want to know if anything is corrupted?

Sorry, I'm a little OCD and this is my work mac, so smooth continued operation is vital... Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you download OS X, it automatically checks the integrity to see if the downloaded file is intact. There's nothing more you need to do. You shouldn't be worried at all. If you ever encounter any problem with OS X, you can always reinstall it.
    You can use Disk Utility to verify a drive and repair it, if necessary. There is no simple single solution for checking corruption in user files.

3. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

The Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) was engineered to provide reliable, ordered, and error-checked transmission of data over an inherently unreliable medium. The likelihood of information becoming undetectably corrupted during download is minuscule, especially when combined with the cyclic-redundancy-checks at the data-link layer.

Generally, a checksum or parity field is used to determine the integrity of data. In the case of the checksum, you will need to have the correct checksum provided to you which you then validate. Parity is employed in your RAID-5 solution to detect corrupt or offline blocks and in some cases recover the missing information. According to G-Tech's own documentation for their external RAID enclosures, an amber light appearing next to a drive is an indication that you should replace the drive as soon as possible. The RAID array can function without that drive should it fail, but it puts the entire array into an at-risk degraded mode.

4. StressedSnowCat thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both!
    So if I understand correctly if I am able to boot from the USB after downloading OS X and using:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Then the install files are not corrupted?

What about a part of the terms of use appearing in another language? Should I be worried?

Should I assume that if I can open a file it is not corrupted or is it more complicated than that? I'd like to check the files on the G-Tech before backing them up off site.