Is there a touch function to update the file's modification date?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hajime, Aug 24, 2013.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Can I do that using the mouse under Mac OS X?

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

To me the easiest and quickest way would be just to use 'touch' in terminal (touch -m filename).

Though I did run across this thread on macworld.

The most convoluted way entails opening up the info window for a file (right click file > Get Info), then in the Info window, going to the "Open with:" field, and simply re-selecting the app you are currently using for that file from the drop down menu. Your "Modified:" field will then be updated.

In the comments they have a few ways you could do it via Apple Scripts and key-bindings, though I didn't try them, and honestly they are from a few years ago so I can't say if they would still work.

An old menu item app called Nudge supposedly does what you want with it's touch option. Select the file you want to modify, then choose touch from the Nudge menu and it should update the modified time of the file. I personally haven't tried this app, but if this works as described (and runs on newer OS's), this is probably the best bet for you from what I can tell.

Another app called A Better Finder Attributes can modify access times as well though this is not a free or even cheap app. With it you can manually set the modification date in the app, and then drag and drop into it the desired file that you want to modify.

So there seems to be quite a few options, but nothing built into the finder as I think you were hoping for.