iPhone X Is there a training period for Face ID?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaybar, Mar 15, 2018.

1. jaybar macrumors 6502a

jaybar

Does the recognition percent improve over time?

2. lexvo macrumors 65816

I noticed that Face-ID learns when it doesn’t recognize and you have to enter the passcode. I had this happen in the first days of my iPhone-X and now Face-ID does a very good job recognizing me.

3. jaybar thread starter macrumors 6502a

jaybar

4. Shark5150 macrumors 65816

Shark5150

Apparently it's an ongoing process. My face ID works flawlessly.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

After the initial set up mine has worked so well I forget what it is doing. Work without flaw for me, even sunglasses will not stop it from working. I did find if I make a "face" or frown it will not work but that it to be expected.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

It can, especially with different kinds of usage. There have been a few when I got a popup, I entered my PIN and it worked even better the next time.

7. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

There is a learning process, and FaceID is supposed to get better. For me, I struggle with FaceID. At times I am cursing it's very existence, and at times I love it.

8. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

I’ve had excellent results with FaceID. I work with my hands and touchid(2nd gen) was never great for me. I even had multiple entries for the same finger and it would still give me issues.. I understand everyone’s situation is unique but, for me FaceID was a welcomed change.. I think the initial setup of FaceID is important in the way it performs.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think there are a lot of individuals who are not tech enthusiasts and have no idea what machine learning is and How Face ID continually adapts to your face. A big part of it is that Face ID will recognize your face more overtime the more you use it and input your passcode. I find that there are those who had poor results with Face ID in the beginning and how Face ID greatly improved in unlocking over the course of time, partially because of the machine learning process.

10. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

Its worked so well for me from the start not sure I would’ve noticed an ‘improvement’

11. adamhenry macrumors 68000

adamhenry

I have the same experience with FaceID.

12. Raist3001 macrumors 65816

Raist3001

In theory, I totally agree...however for me, I find myself constantly entering my password. So much so that I needed to shorten my 20 character password down to 6 characters so I can quickly unlock my phone.

13. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It's suppose to learn your face better over time.

14. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

I’ll go ahead and quote this too. FaceID has always worked so well that I forget that it’s even happening. It’s a thing of beauty!

I do wish you could put in multiple faces, just as you could enter multiple fingerprints. Guess that may be less secure, so that’s why they didn’t do it?

15. Black Tiger macrumors 6502

Supposedly. Most Face ID problems are caused by distance or angle. It would be nice if the initial setup scanned a wider range of distances and angles, but perhaps it would be less secure if it accepted readings at different positions? Touch ID is more thorough in the initial setup, but they may not be comparable in this regard?