Is There a Transparent Back Case For iPad 3rd Gen Available NOW?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by boltjames, Mar 11, 2012.

1. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

[​IMG]

Getting the iPad on Friday, not interested in screen protection, very interested in back protection.

Anyone know of a transparent back case for the new iPad that I can get my hands on right away?

BJ

2. bkushner macrumors regular

saw one on ebay. Didn't look nice enough to recommend. Hard to find on there with no new name like ipad 3 or ipad hd.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Haven't found one yet but with all of your resources you could probably find one fast.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Bolt has [​IMG]resources?

5. BadMoon macrumors 6502

I ordered ghost armor again. I have loved it on my two and have no doubt it will work out great for the new one. It's all I put on mine (back only) besides the smart cover.

6. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Sometimes it's nice to work with the little people.

BJ

7. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Are you looking for a Smart Cover compatible shell or just a back shell? There are quite a few companies that should have revised versions of their iPad 2 cases out pretty soon. I don't know if there are any reputable cases out at the moment though. I'm looking for a back shell myself. I want one that works with a Smart Cover though. Good luck with your search.

8. MortalDays macrumors regular

I preordered two SmartFit3 for my iPad 3 that has transparent back from the Joy Factory. Looking at the previous reviews, its quality is pretty good. :D It does work with a Smart Cover.

LINK: http://www.thejoyfactory.com/product/csa101

[​IMG]

9. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Might be hard to find form fitting cases until these companies get the new iPad in their hands and can get exact measurements.

I can't vouch for the quality but saw someone post a link to this company on a different thread. They have a couple different clear cases for the iPad 2 that look nice but nothing official for the new iPad yet.

http://www.switcheasy.com/product.php?product=NUDE_iPad2

Edit: This company has iPad 2 cases that are also compatible with the Apple Smart Cover. I'm sure they'll come out with updated cases that have the same function.

10. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

I would prefer just a back shell, but it appears that for the iPad 2 all the manufacturers went to the Smart Cover compatible design instead.

My plan is to have two back covers:

Back Cover 1: Smart Cover compatible. For when I'm taking a long trip, requires raised typing orientation or stand for lengthy video watching. For this purpose, I like the Macally SmartMate because it's design locks on the Smart Cover, makes the magnets unnecessary, ensures the cover can never fall off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSRkA6L_OR0

Back Cover 2: No Smart Cover anything. I'll use this 90% of the time as the Gorilla Glass does a great job of front protection, just need something to avoid the back aluminum getting scratched and to give bumper protection when in a screen-down orientation. This is the one we're discussing, the one I'm looking for. With my current iPad 1 I've been using the Belkin Grip Vue which protected the entire back and created a bumper for the front:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KETURSjgkag

BJ

----------

Love it! SwitchEasy Nude in clear is precicely what I'm seeking. No Smart Cover integration at all, covers those magnet ports right over.

Just emailed them to see when they'll have an The New iPad version available. Thanks.

If anyone knows of something just like this that's available now so I have it in time for Friday I'd greatly appreciate it.

BJ

11. SporkLover macrumors 6502

12. orlandocano macrumors regular

For those with the XGEAR and the JOY FACTORY cases: Do you guys know if the cases are hard plastic (usually super easy to scratch on the clear ones)... rubberized plastic ... or hard plastic with the soft touch feel???

And I know nobody has the 3rd gen iPad cases yet... i am asking for those who had the ipad2 versions of these cases...

13. MortalDays macrumors regular

Here is a review from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdCTjMVi6cY

14. rosemary1 macrumors regular

15. jbimler macrumors regular

Did they ever make a Belkin Vue for the iPad 2? Looks like solid case.

16. orlandocano macrumors regular

I had it for iPad 1 and it was nice for about 2 weeks but... Horribly overpriced and showed signs of yellowing within a few days of use. Was completely yellow within 2 months of purchase.

17. jbimler macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't see that Switcheasy case until after I made my post. I like the idea of having two cases one for just around the house, and another for work/laying in bed watching a movie. I already ordered the Lexington, but I think I'll get the Switcheasy Nude when that drops. Their screen protectors are appealing too.

18. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

My Belkin ClearVue didn't yellow, only removed it for cleaning maybe twice in two years.

BJ

19. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

No luck with Switch Easy, they don't have the Nude available and it's not even being made for the The New iPad.

Desperately seeking a transparent back case that does NOT have Smart Cover integration. If anyone knows of one, help.

BJ

20. ptsube macrumors 6502

I just bought one on Ebay that seems to be pretty good. It's for use with the smart cover though. Here's the link. I like it because it covers the entire edge of the iPad. The Joyfactory only covers the corners. I guess we'll see.

I also like the Belkin Snap Shield Secure.

I use the Pop! case by Case•Mate on my iPad 2. I'm using it right now. It's not clear but it's a great case. It's not made for the smart cover. I'll buy one for the iPad 3 when it is released.

21. Aqua Bliss, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  22. glen e macrumors 68030

hard plastic form fitting shells are DEFINITELY something you should wait for the mfr to get one....it has to be a perfect fit.

23. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

24. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68030

boltjames

Right, but that's for the iPad 2 and not the The New iPad so it's not going to fit. Right?

BJ

25. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I had the clear back shell from joy factory on my ipad2, but after a while dust and debris got under it and made it a necessity to take it off and clean it frequently. Eventually I got fed up and bought a leather folio case instead.