Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

I had a real hassle removing my nike strap last night off my series 2 Apple Watch - 1st time in over 3 years.

Link to all the gory details:

Its got me thinking:

Is there a trick to swapping out the straps on these apple watches?

I’m not exactly 2 left thumbs, I use to service my motorbike etc., but I found the buttons etc. really fiddly.

Can I use something like a guitar puck or something to press down the button, to get the straps off easier?

Hope you can advise.

Regards
Martin

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
My guess is, if it hasn't been done in over 3 years that the springs to press the button down may need a little encouragement or loosening up.

Hi B,

Yup thats my guess as well!

Many thanks for all your feedback on the last few posts, btw much appreciated :)

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Anytime - keep asking away. This Apple Watch is something I really enjoy using. I've got like 4 bands for it (I only use 2) lol and it's something that's really engrained in my life. I can't imagine a day without it. It stays on my wrist all day and all night (except for showers). lol.

Let us know if you were able to get that button to depress!

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi All,

Been playing around with the straps this week. Glad to say the S6 is easier to change strap with.

My advice for changing straps - For people with difficulties, like me:

1. Set self up well to do the change:
- Do on Work desk if can.
- Do in good light.
- Do on a spongy firm mouse Matt so not worrying about scratching watch screen while man handling the watch.

2. Give self time to do it, no rush jobs with damaged bits to show for it.

3. No Guitar puck needed. Actually easier and more ”hands on“ Less variables - to use just fingernails and a firm grip of watch.

4. Do easiest side 1st.

5. Nike sports straps are thick - so just take time sliding out etc. I actually like the ”keep grit out” tight fit, and the finish against the watch sides is spot on.

6. Get a proper grip on the watch, then press down buttons, then slide out straps.

7. Straps slide in a lot easier than out!

Hope that helps

Martin

Last edited:
Reactions: RCC1028

Disneymom2003

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2015
I have had an Apple watch for 5 years. I never have a problem UNLESS i use a third party band. The only thing I do is change on my bed or over carpet in case I might drop it.

Reactions: Marty_Macfly

JT2002TJ

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2013
One thing I figured out was that if you press in the button too hard it make is hard to remove the band. You only need to slightly press in the button on the back of the watch to be able to slide the band off.

I was muscling it so hard, it was creating too much friction for the band to slide out.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
One thing I figured out was that if you press in the button too hard it make is hard to remove the band. You only need to slightly press in the button on the back of the watch to be able to slide the band off.

I was muscling it so hard, it was creating too much friction for the band to slide out.

Hi JT,

oooohhhhh right! I’ll give it a go next time ?

thanks!

Martin

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020

Hi JT,

Just tried it - no joy I’m afraid ?

The S6:
Makes no difference for me I’m afraid. I need to press the button down fully - not hard but fully - before the sports loop would move

The S2:
The buttons are knackered now one of them has no spring at all. I managed to get one of the straps off. I put back on, made sure not falling off, and then just left it at that!

Thanks for the suggestion though. If it works for others, then great ?

rsfrid

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
Michigan
Every time I change out band (2-3 times a week) I apply a tiny drop of 5weight watch oil on the buttons on back of watch body and work them up and down. Keeps them free.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Every time I change out band (2-3 times a week) I apply a tiny drop of 5weight watch oil on the buttons on back of watch body and work them up and down. Keeps them free.

Thanks Rs,

Thats old school, brilliant. I’ll take a look ?

Are you into sailing? Be great to hear how you look after your kit against the salt / fresh water / natural elements etc.

I’ve put separate posts on this forum asking for tips about looking after the watch straps themselves. Be it Leather, or silicone/Rubber etc.

I’m most interested in trying to restore my Nike silicone sports band. See post link below, hope you can help ?

I’ve already looked on the internet and only saw good responses against serious diving watches, but thinking about it those were talking about rubber straps. The consensus was to simply scrap the straps - as you don’t want your family heirloom sub mariner snapping off and dissapearing into the swells.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/revitalising-the-silky-waxy-feel-of-nike-sports-band-what-do-i-use.2261798/

Regards
Martin

Last edited:

rsfrid

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
Michigan
62E5D771-9417-49B6-95B6-80A48FA5B980.jpeg

This is what I use. The Eezox is a staple for preventing rust and corrosion so should work for salty environments. Don't use where staining is an issue. My day doesn't involve salt water, but does involve sweat and dirt in garden, etc.

Marty_Macfly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Hi Rs,

Sweat and Dirt is all good! ?

Do you ever wear a leather watch strap? How‘d you keep that is good condition?

Bet wishes
Martin

rsfrid

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2020
Michigan
I don't have very expensive straps. If I am out in garden, I use nylon straps, if I want something for good, I have metal link bands (with wood inserts). I just don't worry about the few leather ones. I'd bet leather cleaner and treatment used on leather furniture would protect your bands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.