Is there a tutorial for SSH'ing?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by NoStopN, Aug 8, 2010.

1. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

I have searched the forums for "openSSH" & "MobileTerminal". I have attempted to follow the instructions in Cydia for trying to SSH into the iPhone. MobileTerminal right now opens & quickly closes. I was pointed toward a source for MobileTerminal 426. I have downloaded it. But, when trying to follow the Cydia instructions now, it basically says that it can't connect. I feel like there is some information, like an extra step, that is missing from the instructions on the Cydia page.

I suppose the first question is: Is there a tutorial for SSH'ing into the phone?
    Second: Is there something else that I need or am supposed to do?

I currently have openSSH & MobileTerminal 426 on the phone. I'm running a Windows computer (is Cyberduck Mac only?) with Windows XP.

Now, where did I put that flamesuit? :p

2. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

3. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Tarnation? Lol.

Don't ask me what SSH is. All I know is it allows people to do more stuff on the phone. Unless you're new to hacking the phone (like me).

4. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

Ok, I will break it down in simple terms. Installing ssh on your phone gives you the to access all the files on your phone. This is important because that means you can modify or add files to customize your iPhone.

First you need to install OpenSSH on your iPhone from Cydia. The rest will be done on your computer. If you are on a Mac user CyberDuck, if you are on Windows use WinSCP. If you are on Linux and don't know how ssh works, I would not be using Linux :p

In your ssh app use the SFTP protocol, and will ask for a hostname. That is the IP address your wireless network gives your iPhone. It can be obtained through SBSettings or in wifi setting in your phone. Username:root password :apline.

You should see a bunch of folders. That should get you setup.

5. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Thanks. I saw WinSCP come up a few times in other threads, so I downloaded it. I just haven't ran it on my computer. I'll try that tomorrow.

6. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

7. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Can iFile do everything that openSSH can? If so, then it might be worth buying.

8. xcel360 macrumors regular

I think it's free in Cydia.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You’re better off with CyberDuck, unless you like doing things on the iPhone screen.

10. Claude626 macrumors 6502

Ok I'm going to provide instructions for windows using WinSCP.

On iPhone:
    - install OpenSSH from Cydia.
    - install MobileTerminal 426 (not on Cydia because this is not approved yet, but it works on iOS4)
    - install SBSettings(if you haven't already...)

Now you WILL want to change the default password of your SSH, so do this:
    - run MobileTerminal
    - type this and press return: su root
    - it asks for password, type this and press return: alpine
    - then type this and press return: passwd
    - enter the password you want
    - confirm the password you want
    - exit MobileTerminal

Now, bring down SBSettings and make sure "SSH" is enabled. See the Wi-Fi IP Address? That's what you will need in a bit on the PC.

On PC: This is assuming your PC is also on the same network.
    - install WinSCP and launch it
    - click "New" button on the upper right
    - "Host Name" = The iPhone's "Wi-Fi IP Address" you saw on SBSettings.(probably something like 192.168.x.x)
    - "User Name" = root
    - ignore the password for now.
    - Click "Save" at the bottom and give it a name
    - Now select the profile in the list u just made and click "Login"
    - Put in the password you chose in MobileTerminal on the iPhone
    - Select save the password if you don't want to type the password everytime.
    - Click OK and you should be connected to the iPhone.

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

12. NoStopN thread starter macrumors 6502

NoStopN

It appears to cost $4 after a trial period. I don't mind paying as long as it does what you say it does.

There are sometimes too many resources & so little time to look through it all. Thanks for posting the link.

Also, thanks to Claude626 for his post. I'll get cracking on this after work today.

13. n1c3jack3t macrumors newbie

MobileTerminal is not an SSH client. You do not need OpenSSH to run MobileTerminal. MobileTerminal is just like Terminal on your Mac, or the command line on your PC - but for your iPhone. When you're using MobileTerminal, you're skipping the need for another computer. You can execute code directly from the device. You'll need to be root:
    Type "login"
    At the prompt, your username is "root"
    At the password prompt, your username is "alpine" at default
    "passwd" will allow you to create a new root password, which is safe if you do plan on installing OpenSSH.

SSH gives you a sort of remote access to the iPhone's file system. You can manipulate it files and execute code from a separate source, ie. your computer. WinSCP for windows, and Terminal for Mac are both good ways to SSH (CydberDuck for Mac if you want a GUI that navigates through the file system). To SSH on Terminal, enter "ssh root@youriphone'sipaddress". You'll be prompted for your password, and both devices must be on the same network to work.

Not sure if that helped.