Is there a universal audio player for Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nick G, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Nick G macrumors member

I mean something like Real Player but one that plays MP3, WMA, Real, Ogg Vorbis, AAC and it's variants etc etc.

I like listening to radio streams online and Real Player is great for this as you can save streams to 'Favourites' and sort them in any order you like. However, it doesn't seem to like Ogg or WMA streams (either it says I need additional software or just hangs). Quick Time Player doesn't seem to have a way of saving streams like this, and nor does VLC or iTunes - they seem to rely on 'play lists' or similar.

So, anything out there that can play lots of codecs like VLC but saves individual streams in the same way as Real Player?

2. Morris macrumors regular

You could have a look at Songbird, Cog or Play.

However, I am not sure if the latter two handle streams. They may just play local files only.

3. Nick G thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the links.

These aren't really what I'm looking for though. Songbird seems to be very similar to iTunes, and it needed to launch VLC to play a WMA radio stream for example. The other two were simpler but still seemed to rely on playlists like Songbird.

What I'm after is something that is very simple, with an "Open URL" menu choice and a Favourites>Add to Favourites menu like Real Player. That way when I open Favourites I just get a list of radio streams (with the ability to overwrite the default names) and I can just click on one to play.

Windows Media player does this but I found it buggy and it didn't seem to be able to arrange my favourites in the way I wanted it to.

Any others out there that fit the bill?