Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eekcat

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
I'm looking for a dock or "hub" that supports the following:

- Dual 4k displays at 60hz (can be DisplayPort or HDMI, doesn't matter)
- Power delivery/passthrough
- USB (preferably USB3, but I can settle for USB2 if that has to be sacrificed for the other specs)
- <$200 would be ideal

It can be a standalone (desk-top) form-factor or one of those add-on/sidecar looking things that take up both ports. I'm looking to plug in just one device to get this done.

I tried the Dell D6000 dock, which does all of the above (and 3 displays), but it must be the DisplayLink implementation that's causing awful performance. It drives both external displays at 4k@60hz, but the lag makes it virtually unusable. (it may be a driver thing though, as console.app shows a bunch of DisplayLink-related errors.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited:

thurstanh

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2018
You'll want to look for Thunderbolt 3 solutions, not USB-C. As far as I can find, MacOS only supports 1 monitor with a USB-C connection. You can connect two screens, but they'll be mirrored. I use a Plugable Thunderbolt 3 to Dual HDMI 2.0 Display Adapter, which claims to support 4k @ 60hz (I have pedestrian 1080p monitors), but it doesn't have power delivery.

The previously mentioned Mantiz Titan seems to do what you're looking for.

Not to be contrarian, but that link is a device using the USB C connector. You are right about thunderbolt 3, as it is required to provide enough bandwidth to drive 2x 4K @ 60hz.

So the dock is using thunderbolt 3 over USB C. I think, but can say for sure that it is the same as USB 3.2. Admittedly all rather confusion and not going to be getting easier any time soon.

NOTE: do make sure you have HDMI 2.0 cables, if the monitors came with them should be alright. Another one of those confusing things where the cable looks the same to earlier versions, but isn’t.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
I am using LG.’s 27 inch 5K monitor that is sold on apples website. Comes with a built-in USB-c hub.
Just the price is a bit more then you asked for, but I’m really enjoying this thing. One cable to my laptop and it charges my laptop, connects father screen, time machine backup and some other stuff.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I just got a 15” Pro and had planned on getting the Henge Stone after deciding the Satechi sidecar was not quite what I wanted. But then I read up. The Henge Stone is USB C not Thunderbolt. So only one display which is fine for me as I use a Dell 34” Curved 21:9 monitor at 3440x1440 (not 4K). And only 1 screen.

But the Henge is $189 on Amazon and apparently there are good TB3 docks for $229 or so. That will get you what you want.

It’s either $50-$150 for a USB C dock and plug in the second monitor direct to a second port on the Pro

OR

Spend $225-$300 for a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Read this. Should help.
https://arstechnica.com/features/20...ricky-world-of-thunderbolt-3-and-usb-c-docks/

Also. Just looked up the Mantiz Titan. 7 reviews. Some not good ones. Never heard of it. And it has a VGA port on it. I wouldn’t buy anything still sporting a VGA port. You could use an adapter to convert DVI to VGA. But why waste the space. More USB and audio. Also, most TB3 docks offer additional USB C ports. I would stay away from that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldmanmac

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
CalDigit’s Thunderbolt Station 3 Plus is a good one. I picked up a refurbished one for $240.00 USD directly from their site. The model/part # and price changes to the length of the Thunderbolt 3 cable that comes with it.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
I got a used Caldigit TS3 (the none + version), and it is awesome. It is everything you have specified you need. As others have said, with what you are looking for you will need to get a Thunderbolt 3 enabled dock, NOT just a USB-C only dock.

If you are looking to stay at or under $200, I’d suggest looking around for refurbished or used Caldigit docks, they are well worth the money.

IdentityCrisis

Suspended
Sep 9, 2018
I'm looking for a dock or "hub" that supports the following:

- Dual 4k displays at 60hz (can be DisplayPort or HDMI, doesn't matter)
- Power delivery/passthrough
- USB (preferably USB3, but I can settle for USB2 if that has to be sacrificed for the other specs)
- <$200 would be ideal

It can be a standalone (desk-top) form-factor or one of those add-on/sidecar looking things that take up both ports. I'm looking to plug in just one device to get this done.

I tried the Dell D6000 dock, which does all of the above (and 3 displays), but it must be the DisplayLink implementation that's causing awful performance. It drives both external displays at 4k@60hz, but the lag makes it virtually unusable. (it may be a driver thing though, as console.app shows a bunch of DisplayLink-related errors.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

As long as your machine supports Thunderbolt 3 you can get a Caldigit TS3 dock. The plus is more expensive, but the regular TS3 is in your budget.

jameslikeness

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
I'm seeing a lot of love for the Caldigit TS3+. I have a mid-2018 MBP and two 24" Apple LED Cinema Displays (both use Mini DisplayPort) that I'm trying to use. Since the TS3+ only has one DisplayPort and one Thunderbolt port available, I'm assuming I would need 2 adapters to go between the TS3+ and the Cinema Displays, is that correct? Is anyone using a setup like that?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
USB Type C is a connector -- used by TB3, Displayport, and USB3.
Correct. "USB-[letter]" only ever refers to the plug & socket connectors and never specifies the data and/or power services carried by that connector or cable.

TB3 and PowerDelivery (PD) only ever appear on USB-C connectors and cables
USB-3.1gen2 generally (always?) only ever appears on USB-C connectors and cables
USB-3.1gen1 (AKA USB-3.0) appeaars on USB-A,C,&B connectors and cables
USB-2.0 apperas on USB-A,C,&B connectors and cables
DisplayPort Alt-mode appeares on USB-C connector (mayby on USB-3 A&B connectors as well??)

USB-C devices and USB-C cables do not always support all of the above, many only support 1 or 2 options. Many cables supplied with chargers only support PD and USB-2.0, trading higher speed data protocols for higher current charging.

@OP: Only TB3 supports 4k@60hz. DisplayPort Alt-mode will only support 4k at 30hz, supporting 60hz only at lower resolutions. If your computer doesn't support TB3 then 4k@60hz is out of the realm of possibilites, except by replacing the computer with one that does.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
DisplayPort Alt-mode appeares on USB-C connector (mayby on USB-3 A&B connectors as well??)

This appears to be the case as there are Lenovo docks that support Displayport monitors via USB-A connection, at least with Lenovo laptops. Of course the computer has to supply the DisplayPort Alt-mode on its USBA ports for this to work, so as you say it's still a matter of what protocols are supported by the manufacturer on a given port.

jameslikeness

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2007
I'm seeing a lot of love for the Caldigit TS3+. I have a mid-2018 MBP and two 24" Apple LED Cinema Displays (both use Mini DisplayPort) that I'm trying to use. Since the TS3+ only has one DisplayPort and one Thunderbolt port available, I'm assuming I would need 2 adapters to go between the TS3+ and the Cinema Displays, is that correct? Is anyone using a setup like that?
For anyone looking to do the same setup as me, this is what I ended up doing:

Mid-2018 15" MacBook Pro
Caldigit TS3+
Female Mini DisplayPort to male DisplayPort adapter (link)
24" Apple LED Cinema Display​
Female Mini DisplayPort to male USB-C adapter (link)
24" Apple LED Cinema Display​
I'm able to run both displays along with the screen on the MBP itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.