Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulpet

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I'm looking for a USB hub (preferably 7+ ports) that'll have enough juice to recharge my iPad. Does anything exist yet that anyone is aware of??

Thanks,
-Paul

PhillStew

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2005
Alabama
I'm interested in hearing this answer too...I use two different USB hubs in my setup and neither one supplies the required voltage.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I would think that any externally powered USB hub would work. Is that not the case?

bigddybn

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
I doubt it.

The ipad charger is 2A which FAR exceeds the .5A spec for USB. While you probably could find a hub that would supply this (4 port powered hub should do it) I have a feeling Apple has designed the ipad to "know" if it's using the genuine apple charger to ensure ample current is available.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I have a 7 port powered USB hub that I haven't been using been meaning to set it back up. I think i'll try it today. I'll report back with my findings

cbdoc

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2010
I've tried 3 different powered USB hubs. None charged the iPad, unless my computer was also connected, which for me defeated the purpose.

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010
I've tried 3 different powered USB hubs. None charged the iPad, unless my computer was also connected, which for me defeated the purpose.
Surprisingly no peripheral out there to accomplish this. How frustrating.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
I've seen USB cables that plug into two ports to double the power output to a single device. Would that work?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
odd question, but has anyone tried using the old firewire iPod charger for the iPad?

No, the voltage on firewire is unregulated, and ranges from 8V to 30V (24V to 30V on a lot of devices, IIRC only Apple Laptops go as low as 8V to save battery) depending on the device draw (which would have a voltage regulator internally designed for firewire. Such does not exist in the iPad). Although it would be enough juice amp wise, you'd probably not like the results if you tried it.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
http://www.hardwarebook.info/Universal_Serial_Bus_(USB)

According to this, the only thing that makes "high-powered USB hubs), those designed to have powerful internal power supplies, is that each individual port supports 500mA, (.5a). I think what you'll find is those that are capable of tying the power together MIGHT give you the juice, but that said, in theory if a 4 port hub could draw 2a, if you had anything else on it drawing juice, it would reduce the power output. Since it's draw-based, apparently alot of them have failsafes because the USB specification (see above source) is NO GREATER than 500ma, meaning that anything drawing more than that is outside of USB spec and it may prevent it from drawing that, assuming it's faulty. (Imagine if your USB mouse had something go wrong and all of the sudden started trying to draw 2 amps). It's interesting that Apple created a USB device outside of USB specs, but that said, it's probably going to be ONLY the Apple charger that works with it, other than third party devices INTENDED for the iPad.

-John

goldenz

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2011
Did you try "ASUS Ai Charger" Software? I have installed it on my Windows7 PC and HP Laptop and works great! iPad charged successfully with the Regular USB Cable into any empty USB ports. There is also few Software can do the same, Just google "ASUS Ai Charger" and u shall find it :)

Regards,
-Amr

I'm looking for a USB hub (preferably 7+ ports) that'll have enough juice to recharge my iPad. Does anything exist yet that anyone is aware of??

Thanks,
-Paul

Dorkington

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
My powered USB/Firewire Hub charges my iPad, but a bit slower than a full powered USB port.

It gives the "Not Charging" message in the status bar, but if you lock the iPad and walk away, it charges about 10% per hour.

I plug it in when I go to bed, and by the morning when I get around to using it again its at 100% unless I started out at an extremely low number.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
My powered USB/Firewire Hub charges my iPad, but a bit slower than a full powered USB port.

It gives the "Not Charging" message in the status bar, but if you lock the iPad and walk away, it charges about 10% per hour.

I plug it in when I go to bed, and by the morning when I get around to using it again its at 100% unless I started out at an extremely low number.

Yeah I forgot about that, I remember seeing an iPad-in-dash build where a guy said even though it said "not charging", it would stay at 100%, and if he took it out for a while and used it, and put it back in, it would be at 100% again eventually (he was using some sort of USB amplifier that pulled the audio off of the iPad, which was feeding regular 5v 500mA).

I still don't think that's the ideal solution though, I hope someone does figure out a way to "fast charge" the device.

Someone mentioned that Asus software, it will probably only work on Asus motherboard by tweaking the USB power output, I'd be cautious of using it on anything else, even if it works you might damage something on your motherboard (Not always good to force something to do what it's not designed to!)

Now that you mention it though, I seem to recall settings on my MSi Motherbard BIOS that would allow me to increase power to the integrated USB ports, I'll have to check that out, the OP should too (unless he's using a Mac or a store bought PC, in which case those types of settings will be locked out)

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
I know old thread, but still current...

Anyone had any luck in finding a USB hub which will provide 7 ports or so and recharge the iPad?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.