Is there a waterproof case yet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Mac 128, May 17, 2015.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

I'm thinking it would have to cover the sensors on the bottom to create a reliable seal, plus it would likely need its own band that attaches to the case. Not sure if the digital crown could remain fully functional, but the buttons should work. The touch screen should work, but probably not force touch. Maybe a transparent bottom to allow the sensors to work? Otherwise I suspect Apple wouldn't officially license it.

For waterproof applications, I can't imagine the loss of either would be that major, especially if you're wearing the watch someplace where you're not going to be getting notifications you have to scroll through. I'd think you could work around force touch ... A few things might take a few more steps than usual, assuming you even need them.

But I just did a search and don't really see anything for this yet.

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The watch is water resistant. You can shower with it. It has passed all kinds of water tests. Why would you want a water-proof case for it?

3. roddenshaw macrumors 6502

I haven't seen one either. It's difficult to imagine how the full functionality of the digital crown could be retained while improving on the existing waterproofing, but the button press could easily be retained.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

No because it's already waterproof. No one is going to go diving with an Apple Watch. If your Appe Watch ever gets damaged from water you can bet that Apple will replace it even if you don't have AppleCare+.

5. SR71 macrumors 68000

It doesn't need a waterproof case at all. Hell, DC Rainmaker put it in a pressurized water tank to simulate the pressure it'd be at 140 feet of water and it worked fine after. He also swam 1000m with it and dove 32 feet with it and still no problems. Don't worry about it being waterproof, it'll do fine.

6. Tommyoc01 macrumors member

Well the market may be small, but I know someone like myself who loves to swim as exercise would love a waterproof case for the sake of tracking exercise and heart rate while swimming (Not sure if the heart rate monitor would work).
    I understand the watch has done some waterproof testing, but I wouldn't feel confident swimming with it for an extended period of time. It would also be awesome be able to feel notifications if need be while in the pool. It's also not just the water resistance, but i'd be concerned about chlorine damaging the watch case, where as a case would protect it. Chlorine ruins everything. It will also probably ruin the band at some point, which would be unavoidable.

Long story short, I know I'm in the minority of people who swim for exercise but I'd be in for a water proof casea

7. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I'm sure there will be a case eventually. I see it as a full case that locks around it (maybe a two piece design that screws together) with it's own band. Maybe they can find a way for a clear plastic area below the sensors so they can work through the watch so the watch is fully encased by the cover.

You have to remember, some people go deep sea diving, and/or snorkeling in salt water. I'm sure that can't be good for a digital watch.

8. rosario1990 macrumors regular

If there is a case not a bad idea. Especially for those who goes for long sea diving or anything like that.

9. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I’m not sure that most of what you want will be possible. Optical heart rate monitors are very unreliable underwater. I’m not sure if anyone has tested the apple watch in particular, but I know many other devices have been tested and I don’t think there are any optical heart rate monitors that work underwater.

Additionally, Bluetooth doesn’t work underwater either. I used (and swam with) a pebble watch for nearly two years. It would lose its Bluetooth connection to the phone almost as soon as it was submerged. Notifications won’t work while you’re swimming.

10. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I'm going to assume, you left your phone outside of the water, and it wasn't with you. There are waterproof iphone cases, so you could in theory keep you phone next to you. Maybe it would work 2-3 ft away underwater...

http://www.watershot.com/underwater-camera-housing-iphone

11. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

I tried it both ways, actually. I have a waterproof iPhone case (I've used lifeproof in the past, right now I'm using a sidio obex) and water just kills the bluetooth signal. Even if the phone and the watch are a few inches apart underwater they can't talk to each other.

12. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Good to know. Thanks.

13. Mac 128 thread starter macrumors 601

Mac 128

Interesting. Well that kills the idea of swimming with BT headphones. Notifications are far less important to me. You're not going to pause to check your wrist mid-stroke anyway, but rather wait until you stop swimming and check it out of the water.

For me, the motivation is for surfing, where the phone wouldn't be anywhere nearby anyway. I'm looking for Pay, key replacement, time , and tide tables. Fitness would be nice, but if the sensors won't work under water then that's a no go, like BT headphones -- looks like the shuffle clipped to the back of my goggles is still the best way to go. I'm not sure what the Watch could offer for diving purposes, over a proven divers watch, except for something similar like Pay and keys while at the beach. Any serious diving operation will have your belongings on the boat.

But the piece of mind for any water sport like kayaking, white water rapids, water parks, water skiing, wake boarding, etc. would make such a case desirable. Also, after reading more of Apple's disclaimers, I'm also suspecting that the type of seals they are using are not rated for extended stresses of water exposure, nor able to be maintained the way a divers watch is designed to be. So even though the watch may have a high degree of protection initially, that won't be true after repeated exposure over time, so the case will come in handy down the line.

14. Chiguy12 macrumors member

Chiguy12

LOL you don't need a case because the watch is water resistant. I shower with mine every day and splash water over it when washing my hands. I also went swimming with the watch but as long as you don't go diving you should be good. Some people in YouTube did bunch of water stress tests with pressurized tanks and the watch passed these tests.

15. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

People may want to bring their watch diving... This is the reason for the question. I may never buy one, but there are people who are interested in it.