Is there a way I can start over a Mac while in Kernal Panic?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Sep 21, 2008.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

Ok well I am using an Intel iMac right not but I wanted to fix my old ibook g3 laptop, which has been in kernal panic for years. I would use an installer to start it over but we can't do that.

Is there a way I can reset it to start from the beginning without using an installer disk for it? Like using the restore or erase option in Disk Utility?

EDIT: Or like use an updater from the apple website to make it work or something?

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Does that mean that it had one kernel panic years ago and you didn't touch it since then, or does it have kernel panics over and over again since a couple of years?

3. nigrunze macrumors regular

You can put it in safe boot by holding shift when starting the computer. If you do that too late, it'll go to the standard login screen.

Try creating a new user to see if your kernel panics are being caused by any startup items or anything similar to that.

4. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

I would do that but I not just get that folder and blinking between the finder logo and the question mark and I don't get how the kernal panic woudl relate to that.