Is there a way I can tether?

kwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
I want to tether without JB. Right now I have all the latest official firmware/carrier file.

How can I enable tethering?

THanks so much

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I want to tether without JB. Right now I have all the latest official firmware/carrier file.

How can I enable tethering?

THanks so much
Unless you carrier supports tethering, you really cannot without modifying carrier settings - and tethering outside of your contract agreement runs the risk of having your contract voided and disconnected.

kwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
Unless you carrier supports tethering, you really cannot without modifying carrier settings - and tethering outside of your contract agreement runs the risk of having your contract voided and disconnected.
Is their a hacked carrier file that I can use somewhere? I used to have one before MMS came out.

Also, is there a way for them to tell (ATT). I just need to tether for about a week.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
Is their a hacked carrier file that I can use somewhere? I used to have one before MMS came out.
You can no longer install a hacked carrier file without jailbreaking. 3.1 implemented a signature check when installing .ipcc files. You have to jailbreak to disable this signature check and allow these files to be installed.

I would like to point out that jailbreaking is not hard or dangerous at all, and does not by itself slow your phone down. You could just jailbreak, install a carrier hack to disable the signature check, and install a hacked .ipcc from BenM.at. You wouldn't have to install anything else, and you wouldn't know it was jailbroken if you hadn't done it yourself.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
California
I've been tethering regularly for months using the BenM hack, but if you upgraded to 3.1 you can't do that.

And the myth that AT&T will cancel your contract if you tether is just that, a myth, but one that won't die, but it's 100% fantasy.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I've been tethering regularly for months using the BenM hack, but if you upgraded to 3.1 you can't do that.

And the myth that AT&T will cancel your contract if you tether is just that, a myth, but one that won't die, but it's 100% fantasy.
Can't say that's 100% true but I did hear some reference to watch out for this from MuscleNerd (one of the iPhone JB devs) twitter posting. Just don't be a jerk and abuse it by consistently watching HD movies or other bandwidth intensive tasks. Make sure to also to watch your bandwidth usage monthly and adjust your usage to it. From what I heard, the unofficial data cap is 5-6GB for AT&T.