Is there a way I can tether?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kwyn, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kwyn macrumors regular

I want to tether without JB. Right now I have all the latest official firmware/carrier file.

How can I enable tethering?

THanks so much

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unless you carrier supports tethering, you really cannot without modifying carrier settings - and tethering outside of your contract agreement runs the risk of having your contract voided and disconnected.

3. kwyn thread starter macrumors regular

Is their a hacked carrier file that I can use somewhere? I used to have one before MMS came out.

Also, is there a way for them to tell (ATT). I just need to tether for about a week.

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think there are any carrier files allowing tethering.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You can no longer install a hacked carrier file without jailbreaking. 3.1 implemented a signature check when installing .ipcc files. You have to jailbreak to disable this signature check and allow these files to be installed.

I would like to point out that jailbreaking is not hard or dangerous at all, and does not by itself slow your phone down. You could just jailbreak, install a carrier hack to disable the signature check, and install a hacked .ipcc from BenM.at. You wouldn't have to install anything else, and you wouldn't know it was jailbroken if you hadn't done it yourself.

6. lollicup macrumors regular

nope

once you upgrade you are pretty much screwed unless you want to JB

7. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

I've been tethering regularly for months using the BenM hack, but if you upgraded to 3.1 you can't do that.

And the myth that AT&T will cancel your contract if you tether is just that, a myth, but one that won't die, but it's 100% fantasy.

8. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Can't say that's 100% true but I did hear some reference to watch out for this from MuscleNerd (one of the iPhone JB devs) twitter posting. Just don't be a jerk and abuse it by consistently watching HD movies or other bandwidth intensive tasks. Make sure to also to watch your bandwidth usage monthly and adjust your usage to it. From what I heard, the unofficial data cap is 5-6GB for AT&T.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you have a 3G you can downgrade to 3.0 or 3.0.1 and install the Stealth AT&T .ipcc to get tethering. I've done it.