Is there a way I can use the apple tv as a time machine target

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by applecultvictim, Apr 11, 2009.

1. applecultvictim macrumors 6502a

...via the usb to attach an hdd that is? I don't see why it cant be done, but I ve not seen it anywhere. Maybe I need to jailbreak it... The reason behind this is that I d like to avoid getting both the :apple:tv and the time capsule.

Maybe a mini as a target for time capsule then?

2. JBaughb macrumors newbie

Another option would be to get a airport extreme and plug the USB hard drive into that for time machine.

Plus, I've found that the airport extreme is the best router for use with the AppleTV. All my high def movies stream from my iMac in the bedroom to the AppleTV over wireless N with no hangups.

3. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

hey j, great points there thanks!

I am currently set on a tc, but I have in mind the extreme +external combo you suggested, the :apple:tv on top of that would be stretching the budget a bit. my project setup would be mba tells tc media server to stream to :apple:tv, which I suppose would mean tc hop to mba hop to :apple:tv

4. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

I don't think it is possible.
    You would have to enable the USB port of the aTV.
    I would recommend you get TC or airport extreme and just add the external hd to it.

5. applecultvictim thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. tom1971 macrumors 6502a

7. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I am 99.99% sure you cannot use your Apple TV as a Target Drive. You would have to use a Time Capsule or a Airport Extreme with a USB HD Plugged in. ;)