Is there a way I can use wmv files, without using Flip4Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPowers, Jul 7, 2007.

1. iPowers macrumors 6502

Flip4Mac is pathetic. I can't make videos for it, because it doesn it half way. I can't import it into quicktime or imovie without it saying, "added on by flip4mac"

I can barely even use it.

Is there something else our there that can let me do all this stuff without all this stupid crap on it?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

The basic Flip4Mac is little more than a WMV decoder plug-in for Quicktime. If you need encoding functionality, I believe you'll have to pay Flip4Mac for that. AFAIK, there's no other way to encode WMVs on OS X.

Although, someone else might know better than I do...

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are correct. Flip4Mac or one of its big brothers is currently your only option for handling Windows Media content on the Mac. For a while, Flip4Mac had competition from Popwire's WMV-9 Component. However, Flip4Mac bought it out.

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you mean by "use"?

If you mean 'encode into' then I think you'll have to pay for the Flip4Mac encoder thing.

But think for a moment about *why* you want to encode into a proprietary format that isn't even the best quality available. What's wrong with H.264? (Open standard, higher quality, smaller filesize - but Windows users do need Quicktime or an equivalent installed) Or if you want super-accessibility, how about Flash Video On6 (I think that's the right one) - proprietary again, but more widespread than .wmv, and better quality than .wmv

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Yeah, I don't know what you mean by "use" either. Every .wmv I've played using flip4mac as worked great through qt.

@jdavtz -- h.264 is just as proprietary as .wmv and final size and resolution all depends on the bit rates used. (way to keep the Apple is better than Microsoft spirit going:) ) If you want something not proprietary you should go with xvid or divx.

6. phatphil macrumors member

If you're up for jumping into Parallels or Bootcamp, I would bet that there's a free wmv to mpeg converter for Windows.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No. H.264 is part of the MPEG-4 standard, specifically MPEG-4 Part 10. Numerous vendors and developers use it. OTOH, DivX is based on Microsoft's rejected draft for MPEG-4. Xvid and DivX are non-standard by definition.

8. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

i use flip4mac to play wmv files and Snapz Pro X to capture the screen and make a mpg file.

9. vashim66 macrumors member

10. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

h.264 is what comes standard with every Apple product, much like .wmv comes standard with every Windows product-- that's why I said it was proprietary. Sure other people have jumped on and supported them.

It seems to me that the non-standard xvid is supported more than either one because of 3rd party developers -- so I brought it up because it seems like the preferred choice, from my experience which is not all inclusive I know, for burning/ripping nowadays.

11. SolrFlare macrumors regular

Proprietary standard or universal standard, bottom line is the only reason you should ever want to even think about encoding in .wmv is if:

A) It's a corporate thing and that's what your organization has licensed to use(in which case your hands are tied)

B) You want to encode video in .wmv format for a proprietary device that uses wmv for video. IE a xbox360(although the 360 does support mpeg-4 now, however it only supports 5.1 audio in .wmv format).

Any other situation, use H.264 or another mpeg-4 based standard, you'll get much better results and OS compatibility will be a non-issue.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Saying something is proprietary doesn't make it proprietary. Neither does asserting something is a standard make it a standard. H.264 is a published standard by a recognized standards-setting body. In this case of H.264, it is published by two recognized standards-setting bodies, the MPEG and the VCEG. Windows Media is not a standard at all. It is merely a Microsoft format.

13. mark476p macrumors newbie

Quick question about Flip4Mac:

I use it to view WMV files online. It gives me the option to "Save as QuickTime." Thus, when I do so, I have a QuickTime file saved onto my computer. My question is whether or not this is legal to do?

14. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Yes as long as you don't upload the files to the internet and call them your own then your fine.

15. russell.h macrumors regular

Is there a way to make VLC play embedded stuff in Firefox? (Or Safari, I'm not too picky).

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

17. iPowers thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys playing the videos is no problem. That isn't my concern. Converting si the same. However, if I mport a wmv onto imovie, it says, "made by flip4mac" right on the page. If I export a video into wmv format, it does it half way. It is annoying really. I"m making my concern toward the importing part more.

18. Iamtherealwoody macrumors 6502

Iamtherealwoody

I don't use flip 4 mac anymore, I use perinian to view wmv. I dont think itll help you though. Perinian is like VLC for quicktime, it has all the codecs and such.

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i would recommend using VLC to convert the wmv movie. its very simple to do so and will be able to be played by imovie