Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hungarianguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
is there a way in which i can switch between two user profiles without having to log off?

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Hungarianguy said:
is there a way in which i can switch between two user profiles without having to log off?

yes. enable "fast user switching" in your system preferences, in the accounts section

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
You should be able to enable fast user switching through System Preferences->User accounts

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 3,825

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Just note that not logging off means your apps continue to run (eating up RAM, CPU, etc.) and that some apps, like iTunes, aren't fond of sharing users.

Generally, though, virtual memory takes care (nicely) of RAM issues, and most apps don't do much when you're not logged in, so, overall, Fast User Switching is a good thing.

Hungarianguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
after I enabeled this what do I use to switch between the users? I do not see a menu item that says switch between users. And logoff still stops all programs.

thansk,dan

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Hungarianguy said:
after I enabeled this what do I use to switch between the users? I do not see a menu item that says switch between users. And logoff still stops all programs.

thansk,dan

Click on your user account name in the upper right hand corner of the menu bar.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
jsw said:
...some apps, like iTunes, aren't fond of sharing users.
What...?

Apple suggest this as a simple way of sharing music among different users on the same computer:
Tip: With iTunes 4.5 or later and Mac OS X 10.3 or later, it's easy to use the Fast User Switching feature in Mac OS X with the Music Sharing feature in iTunes to share your songs with other users on the same computer.
from iTunes: How to share music between different accounts on a single computer

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Older versions of iTunes wouldn't run for multiple users simultaneously. Newer versions may have changed this though.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Nermal said:
Older versions of iTunes wouldn't run for multiple users simultaneously. Never versions may have changed this though.

It has changed, you can actually be playing 2 different songs at the same time :eek:

And switching without logging off assumes you are using at least Panther I think. I don't believe Jaguar allowed this.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.