Is there a way of making alt tab better?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by equalsabracket, Nov 10, 2008.

1. equalsabracket macrumors regular

Are there any programs that make alt-tab better? I have a desktop with ubuntu on it and a laptop with vista on it and this iMac is in the other room. The alt-tab on ubuntu and vista is so much better than the OS X one. I'm confused as to the use of alt+tab on OS X. I figured out it changes the bar at the top to a different application and all applications which show up seem to only be ones which do have a change to the menubar but sometimes i'll alt-tab to something and it'll come to the front and sometimes it wont and sometimes it'll show me programs that i don't even think are open.

Is there a program or add-on which makes alt+tab work better or a guide on how to make the most of it?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What do you mean by "work better"? In Mac OS X, the Command-Tab does most of what Alt-Tab in Windows does. Before you go to the trouble of installing add-ons or trying to modify your system, it would be helpful if you took the time to get familiar with Mac OS X controls.

3. ATimson macrumors regular

Emphasis on "most"--it doesn't let you choose between windows within an application. Is there some way to do this that I'm missing?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Command-`to tab forward
    Command-~ to tab backward

5. statik13 macrumors regular

It actually works very well once you "unlearn" the Windows way. Alt tab moves from application to application. Alt "~" moves from window to window within an application. Used in conjunction you can move between apps and your windows very fast.

That is because they are open. If you want them to close, press "Cmd Q" while in the App or while Alt tabbing over them.

6. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, well on vista and ubuntu it shows you what the window looks like in realtime so you know which one it is.

In OS X, it doesn't show you this, just the logo of the program. It also doesn't show all open programs just the ones which have a menubar with them. Out of the programs that do show, it only shows you 1 window of these programs.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Again, take some time to learn how to use Mac OS X. Press F3 or set up a Hot Corner with "All Windows" and you can quickly see every window that's open on your Mac, so you can just click whichever you want. Much easier than keyboard shortcuts.

Attached Files:

8. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

I have that as the middle click button but it's a bit annoying with the windows constantly going in and out. being in a mess placed randomly around the screen and it doesn't show minimised windows.

9. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

10. equalsabracket thread starter macrumors regular

11. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Me placer amigo. Don't listen to these guys that think that any usability problem is a user problem.