Is there a way of setting up the remote app without apple tv remote?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by carlmacdiarmada, Nov 7, 2013.

1. carlmacdiarmada macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm after losing my Apple TV remote, and i didnt set up the remote app on my iPhone, is there anything I can do to set it up?

Thanks
    Carl

2. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

As long as the ATV is on your WiFi and already signed in to your iTunes account for HomeSharing you're good to go.

3. ndirishfan1975 macrumors newbie

Even if the ATV wasn't set up already, if you have an iPhone 4s or newer and the third gen ATV you can set up the ATV through the remote app by tapping the phone to the ATV. If the ATV is already set up and on your wifi you simply need to open the remote app on the phone and it should recognize the ATV.

4. joebrown84 macrumors newbie

joebrown84

Usually this happens when I open the remote app on my iPhone. But lately it isn't displaying the Apple TV icon on the app, just tells me about home sharing. Any ideas how I can get them talking to eachother?

Both iPhone and Apple TV are on the same wifi and home sharing network.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

And Home Sharing is authenticated on all 3 devices (iTunes, Apple TV and iOS Remote)?
    If they are authenticated with same Apple ID, it must be a Bonjour problem.

6. joebrown84 macrumors newbie

joebrown84

It certainly was about three days ago, been using all three perfectly but now it seems like Apple TV has lost the connection. I'm trying to track down a physical remote to control Apple TV and see if it has lost its connection.

7. waw74 macrumors 68030

8. nostresshere macrumors 68030

The solution to just about everything, especially if strange or illogical, is

REBOOT

REBOOT

REBOOT

This even applies to things like your refrigerator.

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

because it's one of the easiest thing to do, and a lot of times will clear up the problem.
    sometimes things just get off, and rebooting lets it clear things out, reload and start fresh.

10. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

And tend to never believe the documentation, or tech support...

I was on a call with Microsoft, and after getting things right, the software still wasn't working. I can't remember what it was that we were working on. The 'engineer' brought another 'engineer' in on the call, and while waiting, I just rebooted. It came up just before the two 'engineers' came back on, and the system worked. Both declared that the system didn't need to be rebooted at all, and that there must be something else causing the issue and started going over what we tried, and what we should try. I told them to hold on a second, and told them that the system was up and seemed stable, after the 'definitely not needed' reboot. After being asked by the original 'engineer' why I rebooted when I didn't have to, I said 'when in doubt, reboot'. The second level guy laughed. I said 'No you don't need to reboot, unless things don't work'. The exasperated original engineer wondered why I 'risked the system' with a reboot. I said that it already wasn't working, so rebooting wasn't going to break anything that was working. Second level laughed again and said something pithy that I can't remember and signed off the call. The original 'engineer' said that he 'would have to remember that'.

AND HE WORKED FOR MICROSOFT!!!:rolleyes::D:) :apple: