Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
I know it is unlikely but is there a way to add apps to the list of those that software update checks for updates for. I would love an all-in-one updater for apple apps, skype, firefox, adium, and all my other favorites.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
No...Software Update only connects directly to Apple's servers, so third-party apps can't use it. Apple is obviously very protective about its protected systems for deploying trusted updates. Allowing other companies to have access to that system (even if each update had to be approved by Apple) opens the door to significant security breaches.

While it would be nice to expand things, it's understandable why it's limited to Apple apps.

Retired
Original poster
May 16, 2006
No...Software Update only connects directly to Apple's servers, so third-party apps can't use it. Apple is obviously very protective about its protected systems for deploying trusted updates. Allowing other companies to have access to that system (even if each update had to be approved by Apple) opens the door to significant security breaches.

While it would be nice to expand things, it's understandable why it's limited to Apple apps.

Thanks...is there a 3rd party app that checks for updates for others?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I was under the impression that one of the VersionTracker types of sites sells a service that installs a Software Update type of application onto your computer and manages updates of all the software that's listed in their registry. But now I'm blanking on which one it is. :(

EDIT: Here it is -- it is VersionTracker. It's called VersionTracker Pro. Unfortunately it's somewhat unreasonably priced... $50/yr! :eek: :rolleyes:

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
The three apps you mentioned: adium, skype and firefox all have the ability to check for updates automatically. In adium, select check for updates, then check the little box where it asks if you want to check automatically. In skype its on the general preferences pane. I think firefox does it automatically whether you want it to or not (since I can't find where you would turn it on/off). Hope that helps a little.

I wish this was an option on all software, though I can see reasons why a small developer wouldn't add it right away as a feature.

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
The three apps you mentioned: adium, skype and firefox all have the ability to check for updates automatically. In adium, select check for updates, then check the little box where it asks if you want to check automatically. In skype its on the general preferences pane. I think firefox does it automatically whether you want it to or not (since I can't find where you would turn it on/off). Hope that helps a little.

I wish this was an option on all software, though I can see reasons why a small developer wouldn't add it right away as a feature.

Actually its normally the smaller developers that include Sparkle (the update systems in Adium etc)

It takes a few clicks to set it into your program

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
No...I am in the UK, but have no idea how it would affect US users...

I'm giving it a try... the Leopard-style focusless / contextless / whatever window is a little odd, and it can be quirky at times, but it does seem very nice. Impressive that it figures out updatable software on your computer essentially without even having to be taught!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.