Is there a way to actually delete something?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LoganT, Oct 20, 2007.

1. LoganT macrumors 68020

So when I download something it sometimes comes in a bunch of rar files that I really don't need to backup. Is there like a secure delete I can do (without having to go into Time Machine)?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Am I missing something obvious? Put them in the trash and empty it. If you want them to be really gone, use the secure empty trash option from the Finder menu. :confused:

What does Time Machine have to do with this? Are you using leopard and trying to track down and eliminate backup copies of these files? In that case, put them in a folder that you specify not to time machine.

3. rmh macrumors regular

I think the question is since Time Machine supposedly backs up everything that is changed, including files that are deleted, is there any way to permanently delete a file you know that you wont be using again, such as a .rar or .zip when you already unzipped and saved the contents. Or are we doomed to have to view them in Time Machine forever?

4. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You have an hour before time machine checks for things to back up. You could try and get it deleted in that hour, or just disconnect your external, or the "don't-back-me-up" folder would work too.

5. LoganT thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you for that suggestion that's exactly what I'll do. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right -- it doesn't even need to be an hour. I believe you can specify it, and the default is actually one day. And hopefully it does have an exclude feature like spotlight, although I guess it could be that it doesn't.

7. rmh macrumors regular

So, are you saying that only the items in the trash, but not completely deleted, are backed up come time for the hourly TM backups?

8. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Thats a good idea... You would hope the new "downloads" folder is set not to backup otherwise you would have previous backups of part-downloaded files.

9. russell.h macrumors regular

I don't know about the trash, but unless it doing a full image of your disk (which it obviously isn't) then it won't get files that are completely deleted. Like I say, I don't know if it will back up the trash can.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless this is a HIPAA or other legal issue, I think this is getting silly, though. If it is a legal issue, use Filevault; the TM backups are secured too then. If not, don't over-analyze it. It's not that big of a deal.