Is there a way to auto-sync a folder to either Skydrive or Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by east85, Sep 2, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I desire to keep one particular folder I use for college in sync with either service. It would be preferable if this folder would automatically sync at an interval, in order to keep updated and backed up. Is this at all possible?

The folder would not be placed in either "dropbox" or "skydrive" folder, but simply backed up and replicated by either service. Is there a third party app that will do this, or perhaps a native solution for either app to accomplish this?

Thanks! :apple:

2. Enzedder macrumors member

MacDropAny

MacDropAny?

3. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thanks for your quick and helpful response! This is just what I'm looking for.

Just one quick question:

Do you know if it will automatically sync the folder again if changes occur, or at an interval?

Thanks.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Sync happens right when a change is made. Usually, it is so fast that you cannot even tell it happened. If you leave the dropbox app open, you will see the dropbox icon in the menubar flick (suggesting sync) when any change to the original folder is made.

5. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

Thank you.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

You’re welcome. BTW, this can be done using symbolic links as well but it is much tougher. Macdropany is the way to go.

7. rctlr macrumors 6502a

rctlr

Personally I use rsync and crontab to copy across as a backup.