Is there a way to automatically open System Preferences after...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by celticpride678, Aug 3, 2009.

1. celticpride678

Is there a way to open System Preferences automatically when a monitor is plugged in and plugged out of the notebook?

It sounds weird, but is important.

Any ideas on how this can be done? Thanks.

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

As I believe there is no native way in OSX, try installing Marco Polo. Define a context for internal and one for external display and an action that opens System Preferences on arrival at either.

3. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

As I am unfamiliar with this application, can you please help me with setting it up? Thanks.

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

Um, well have you looked around the app?

Basically, you create a context for each situation, so one named "internal display" and one "external display". Then you enable "Monitor" under "Evidence sources" so MarcoPolo knows what to look for.
    Then go to "Rules". Now create a rule for every situation like this:
    Click the plus, "Add Monitor Rule", select the the internal montiro from the list (it has to be connected at the moment, though), then select the matching context and set the confidence to 100%.
    Repeat for the external monitor.
    Under actions, click the plus, "Add Open Action" and then choose the System Preferences app. Choose one of the two contexts and "on arrival". Repeat for the other context. This should be enough.

5. celticpride678 thread starter Guest

celticpride678

Thanks for the help. This worked perfectly.