Is there a way to avoid syncing applications?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rumblecat, Oct 13, 2009.

1. rumblecat macrumors newbie

Hi there, first post- but long time lurker and this board has unknowingly helped me out with many mac problems over the years- so thanks for that. Anyway, just got an iPod touch and downloaded a bunch of apps- but when I linked it up to the laptop and iTunes it wanted to sync the apps to iTunes- so it downloaded versions of them onto my laptop. Really don't want them clogging up the memory on the laptop, but when I go to unclick 'sync apps' it warns me that it'll remove them from my iPod.

So... is there anyway just to have them on my iPod and not on iTunes on my laptop as well- still want to use iTunes to add photos and music etc, just want the apps to be on the iPod only. I hope that makes sense...

2. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

I don't think that's possible.

It makes sense to have all the original music, movies and apps in iTunes on your computer. If you have to restore the iPod, you only have to resync and everything's fine. :)

3. rumblecat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was glad of it when I had to restore my iPod, it's just a space issue really. No problems, I can just delete them off the laptop anyway and then wait for it to transfer them over from the iPod whenever I want to add stuff to music and movies etc. Not ideal for me but, like you say, there's a reason behind it. Thanks.

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

If you delete them from the computer it'll remove them from the iPod at next sync.

How bad are your space issues? Most don't take up that much room tbh.
    If it's bad, and you're on a mac, look at monolingual, xslimmer and deleting printer drivers you don't need to free up a few gig.

5. rumblecat thread starter macrumors newbie

Space issue is pretty bad (2gb left which goes down fast)- I've removed a bunch of stuff by hand, like languages I didn't need, but didn't think of trying programs specifically designed for that, so cheers, I'll give them a go now.

I've found if I delete apps from my iTunes it won't take them off the iPod Touch when I connect it though- instead it gives me the option to install the apps back onto the laptop iTunes, which is pretty decent of them... :)

Thanks for the reply.

edit : ooh, just ran monolingual. Thought I'd manually got rid of most the extraneous languages on the computer but I was wrong, big time. That's brilliant, freed up a lot of space with it.