is there a way to bluetooth text messages?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, Feb 1, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I have an LG dare and am running leopard. I have googled and can't find much but is there a way to bluetooth text from my phone to my computer then from my computer to the phone to a recipient? I say bluetooth so that I don't have to use extra messages or get charged by my carrier for it. Is there an app that can do this? Basically I want to be able to leave my phone in my pocket and still receive text on my computer that come to my phone and then be able to respond from my computer.
    Thanks

2. linuxophile macrumors regular

I apologize in advance for asking (without having any solution); how practical would that be, given that the range of bluetooth is very limited? (For example, fot the bluetooth keyboard the next room is already out of range).

3. johndavidwright macrumors member

i know address book had something like that and ive seen widgets that "do it" but none of them worked for me. good luck though!

4. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

the benefit would be that I could leave my phone in my pocket, backpack, etc. (close to me) and not have to dig it out to respond to a text and I can use it during class without pulling out my phone...plus i can type faster than I can text

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

I've tried the phone plugins app and fone somethin or other and neither were compatable with my phone. Any one have any other suggestions?

6. steamtoy macrumors regular

7. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll try that one out. Doesn't look too promising though since it doesn't name LG at the top like it does Motorola and Sony Erickson, the last 2 or 3 i tried weren't compatible with LG but were compatible with these 2 brands.

8. jorgefgr macrumors newbie

I do use emitSMS and actually like it as it allows you to write 160+ characters messages. The only problem I see is it often takes long time to connect to my Sony Ericsson w610i. I suppose it's possible it works better with phones from different makes.

Now, for all you want I'd recommend BluePhoneElite 2. It not only allows you to read smss in your computer's display and reply to them. It also allows you to use your computer mic and speakers as an hands-free to your mobile to make and take calls.

You can download a 14-day trial, go for it!

Regards.

George...

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm guessing you have Verizon? I think they have a proprietary OS that disables big chunk of the bluetooth stack.

10. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure on what you want to do, but from the way I read it you want to be able to send messages through your phone from your computer? If so, BluePhoneElite should do the job:

http://mirasoftware.com/BPE2/

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yes. ;)

Go to Address book, look up the name of the person you want to text. When you see their contact info on the right side, click (or right click?) on "Mobile Phone Number" (or perhaps "Cell Phone Number" for the Americans?). There should be an SMS option there. Click on it, and there will be a text window where you can type your SMS rather than type it using your phone. :)

If this doesn't work....well, it used to. I did it all the time, but it's very easy and fast to type on my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic's touchscreen, so I don't really use it anymore.

12. philtrapp macrumors newbie

philtrapp