Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi

Searching for Stock Android, I was recommended Nexus 5x, 6 etc which are above my budget

So, is there a way to buy a reasonable phone within $250 budget & convert to stock Android ?

Which phone and how ? how easy / cumbersome ?

TIA for tips and experiences

Regards

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
You need to head over to XDA Developers and see who is making ROM's for the budget phones you are interested in purchasing.

Most of the people making ROM's will provide instructions on how to flash the ROM to your particular phone.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
You need to head over to XDA Developers and see who is making ROM's for the budget phones you are interested in purchasing.

Most of the people making ROM's will provide instructions on how to flash the ROM to your particular phone.

thanks !!

I've already posted

here http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/xda-assist/to-buy-mid-range-phone-convert-to-stock-t3359849

and was redirected to

here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=66391053&postcount=9383

Since XDA developers forum seems to be an ocean, could you please advise me IF I'm at the right place !! :)

regards
subu

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
Everything non Nexus, will not get updates directly from Google. The closest to stock Android i AOSP (Android Open Source Project), but it still depends on developers porting it for the phone you have. Prepare for a lot of hassle flashing Rom's and instability/missing hardware features due to missing hardware drivers from the manufacture. The most stable rom's are based on stock rom. The most unstable roms are based on newer Android version than the latest stock rom, because the manufacture has not yet released any kernel/driver sourcecode for developers to base their rom on. If the technical fiddling sparks your interest though, you can also end up in the other camp flashing new roms all the time, looking for the latest and greatest new features. Not all phones are equal, some Manufacture supports unlocking of bootloader, while other does not (same situation as iPhone and jailbreaking). I know HTC and Sony does, but you might loose your warrenty.

Reactions: Subu

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The only one you could do that with an official stock rom, would be the HTC One M8, that you can convert to GPE edition and recieve updates strait from Google. Any thing else and you would have to flash an unofficial rom.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
The only one you could do that with an official stock rom, would be the HTC One M8, that you can convert to GPE edition and recieve updates strait from Google. Any thing else and you would have to flash an unofficial rom.
Not unless they changed it since M7. The M7 GPE still had it updates from HTC due to hardware drivers, but much quicker than the Sense version. But if you want to start recieve official updates, you will have to relock bootloader again after converting it fully.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I've used about 6 or 7 ROMs on three different devices in the last couple months and there's only one or two that I'd recommend.

If I were planning on doing what you're planning I'd go to the cyanogenmod download site see what devices they support and get one of those. There are other and "better" ROM's but whatever CM supports will probably have better overall support.

Reactions: maxsix and Subu

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
thanks to _each_ and _every_ poster / expert / person who replied here here

really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and helping nature at MacRumors !!

I could _not_ get such a clear reply at XDA developers, though I was moved / shunted around

Have a great day ..all of you

regards
Subu

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
thanks to _each_ and _every_ poster / expert / person who replied here here

really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and helping nature at MacRumors !!

I could _not_ get such a clear reply at XDA developers, though I was moved / shunted around

Have a great day ..all of you

regards
Subu

XDA is a place a lot like the Arch forum you have to have a certain personality type to appreciate it.

Reactions: maxsix and Subu

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The best Android OS is the manufacturer's version just like the best iOS version is the one that originally ships with the iPhone. If you want a quality device with stock Android look into the 2015 Moto G 16GB for about $220 or even the 2013 Moto G 16GB which is equivalent to the iPhone 6 for about $110. Or, if not in a hurry wait to see the 2016 Moto G. I wouldn't suggest changing ROMs. You might get lucky and pick a ROM that mostly works but more than likely not everything will work or worse you end up bricking it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.