Is there a way to clean these apple bumpers?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Block, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

My green bumper is starting to have some browning on the upper tips and I was wondering if there was an easy way to clean them. I tried rubbing alcohol but that doesn't really get any of it off...

Thanks for the help :D

2. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, they're plastic and rubber, so warm water and soap should do it. Just be sure to remove the bumper from the phone before you try it. And make sure you let it dry over night before putting it back on.

3. Block thread starter macrumors 6502a

Block

I already tried a basic cleaner.

I asked because I want a way to clean the case without damaging it, as browning is not necessarily an issue with dirt on the rubber, but possibly a side effect of chemical reactions between the rubber and the air and/or materials around it.

4. Block thread starter macrumors 6502a

Block

A light bleach solution usually makes rubber brittle and crumble though for anybody who was considering it. After snooping around a dilute solution of baking soda supposedly works best.

5. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

My default is a Magic Eraser. They can do almost anything! Seriously.

6. NaCl macrumors member

C3H8O usually does the trick. Try oxyclean and soaking it in their for about 5 minutes.

7. robotrondeluxe macrumors newbie

The only thing that will clean the bumpers is a Sham Wow.

8. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I was also curious about this and seeing how I really didn't want to ruin the bumper (seeing how I have no other case options at the moment) I figured someone more ballsy than me tried it already.

hurriance, thank you for stepping up and making the post. Much appreciated.

9. davidmt macrumors newbie

davidmt

Can anyone confirm if the baking soda idea works? After 5 days my green bumper looks dirty around the edges but I don't feel it is dirt ... as someone said it seems like some chemical reaction.

10. fender57 macrumors 6502

My green one is starting to show wear too. I'm "embracing" the dirt on the bumpers and focusing on keeping the iPhone itself clean. I'm going naked on the iPhone most of the time unless I'm on an outing and plan to use it heavily (like taking pictures).

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

12. headcheese macrumors regular

FTW

13. headcheese macrumors regular

Fyi-

Already cleaned my white bumper with one and it worked flawlessly :cool:

14. mhdena macrumors 6502

15. hipsigti macrumors member

Castrol super clean all purpose cleaner will take any and all dirt off of anything if you read the back it's safe to used on almost anything try that and if it doesnt come off then nothing will take it off. (what i did) Put some in some kind of bowl submerse the bumper let sit for five mins or so take out rub vigorously with micro fiber cloth for tough stains and if that doesnt take it off the nothing will. I have the white case and mine looks new again.

16. flytiger macrumors newbie

17. mrknowitall macrumors newbie

I second the idea of trying a magic eraser. I don't use it often. But when I have a dirt rough surface (like the rubber on the bumper) I can't get clean with anything else, I usually pull out my magic eraser and it takes care of it.

This is the reason I went with a black bumper. Well one of the reasons.

18. headcheese macrumors regular

FYI- I used the magic eraser on my white bumper and while it worked the 1st time is now makes it pick up dirt/discoloration MORE then it did before I used the magic eraser.

A friend of mine got a white bumper the other day so I was feeling the rubber and it feels very different compared to mine. I think that the eraser took off some coating and that is why it gets dirty quicker now. 30 minutes in my jeans and it's BLUE around the edges.

I'd stay away from using the magic eraser. I don't know what is better but I wouldn't use that. I am considering getting some oxyclean and see if that helps.

19. nd4speed macrumors member

20. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

After about a month using the green bumper, I had to take it off for good. It got very dirty. I tried to clean it with soap and it seemed cleaner but then got worse within days. My hands are always clean and it kept in a clean place so it must be the material is junk. What a waste of money.

21. calvy macrumors 65816

has anyone tried alchohol wipes? they tend to work on other things like this. Haven't tried it on my bumper as I haven't used any of my bumpers enough to get them dirty.

22. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

denatured alcohol soak.

23. glen e macrumors 68030

the reason mr clean works well is it's the equiv of 3600 sanding paper - it''ll kill the gloss - I own a company that details yachts....use mineral spirits and then dishwashing soap and water to remove the smell - have done it to my daughter's white bumper and she gets it real dirty, works perfect....