Is there a way to clean your Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pbkiller, Sep 10, 2007.

1. pbkiller macrumors regular

Is there a way to safely clean the inside of the macpro? its starting to get a little dust, and im a little freaked, cause i cant get a hold to remove or clean the front and back fans... Let me know guys... thanks

2. The3nd macrumors regular

get a compressed air can and spray it into the front and you will see the dust shoot out the rear fan hole

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

put it in the iDishwasher?

Don't worry about it, my G5 been running fine for the past 4 years with nothing done to it. You might cause damage to your machine.

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If you want to get it really clean, then put it in the back of your truck, and then drive through one of the automated touch-less car wash stations.

Once you're done, be sure to spend a good amount of time at the end by the high pressure hot air dryer.

The extra benefit will be the shiny gloss of the metallic case from the wax and clear-coat protectant.

Should be nice and pretty.

Of course, if you want to take the safe route, just do what I've always done. Get a can of compressed air. Then, start at the top and make sweeping motions with the air. Blow through all the fans thoroughly and work the dust you're blowing out of the case by blowing it out.

Also make sure you blow through the holes on the power supply.

Of course, be sure to turn off the computer and unplug it first.

Also, be sure to always hold the can upright so that the propellant doesn't come out (if you hold the can sideways or upside down, then you'll get a wet spray out of it).

5. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Yes, just do this. I've had a pc for like 3 years and just now did I bother to dust it :)

You can get a can for like $6 at Staples or some similar office supply store.

6. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

if you must blow air into your computer, use a bicycle tire pump with one of those things you use to fill up a ball. don't waste money on a can of various gases.

7. Tracer macrumors 6502

Pretty sure you can remove the Fan Disassembly in Front (Only held in place with one screw) if you really wanted to get it clean.

Tracer

8. bld44 macrumors 6502

9. pbkiller thread starter macrumors regular

Where's that screw located?, cant get a hold of it....

10. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

If you use an air compressor, make sure you have a valve on it to reduce the air pressure coming from the nozzle.

You could have enough pressure come out of that to literally blow parts off the main-board and cause other damage.

You'll want to be sure that you reduce the pressure to a level that the components can safely survive.

11. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

ohh your quite wrong, just crank it up all the way, mine goes to 160psi, it'll be great.

(if you do have a safety value to release pressure, do not open it at 160psi. It will scare your **** out)

12. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Well, that would be entertaining anyway :D

13. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

Actually I'd be more concerned about having a moisture trap prior to the nozzle. Compressed air can contain quite a bit of water vapor.

14. Tracer macrumors 6502

To get at that screw you need to remove the memory risers and cage.

There's a guide on how to do so somewhere, I'll get back to you.

Tracer

15. Tracer macrumors 6502

16. iJawn108 macrumors 65816

iJawn108

coca cola, windex and grey goose. 1:2:1 blend should do the trick. Just spray some into the heat sinks and watch your mac go into self cleaning mode. For extra clean drop in some lithium and watch your mac be reborn like a beautiful phoenix.

17. pbkiller thread starter macrumors regular

18. Tracer macrumors 6502

No problem.

Post some pictures if you can. After watching one of Glenn's podcasts I was shocked to see how much dust had built up in his Mac Pro.

Tracer