Is there a way to click on things without trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kat.hayes, Sep 24, 2012.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I have a 1 yr old mbp and need to use it during meetings though clicking on the track pad makes too much noise. Is there another way that I can use the trackpad to navigate on the screen but instead of clicking on the trackpad using a keyboard shortcut?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Activate the tap to click feature. Just go to settings, trackpad, and select Tap To Click.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

There is "Tap to Click" but that still uses the Trackpad.

5. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

is there also a way to be able to tap on files or browser windows and drag them without clicking down on the trackpad?

7. simsaladimbamba

Enable DRAGGING and DRAG LOCK and look at the video showing you how to use it on the right side of System Preferences > Trackpad.

8. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Oh by the way, Tap to Click takes some getting used to, especially if you are going to enable dragging. I personally just click the trackpad, it's a bit of a pain but you will get the hang of it.

9. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I NEVER push down on the trackpad myself, it's too stiff 4rme never mind the noise.

The trackpad is fully configurable, play with the settings and u shall find what u need.

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't get why that is still not standard.
    I ever only click the pad for dragging. I guess if they would drop the clickable touchpad altogether I wouldn't much miss it. I rarely drag stuff usually copy/paste.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Try reading the OP and not just the subject. ;)

Subjective preference. The usual answer to the "I don't get why..." statements.

13. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Okay I will try just for you.

14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Afaik it is also standard in most Windows notebooks today. It is weird because it doesn't really match with all the other focus on one big button, all the gestures and so on.
    Seems odd that this archaic method still is default when they are bold enough to change the scrolling direction. The hardware click used to be important when trackpads used to be inaccurate crap and pointers jumped around or the the click wasn't recognized. Not really the case anymore and those clicks are annoyingly noisy. Not nice in study rooms if somebody constantly hardware clicks around when tab to click is so nice inaudible.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I'm amazed you've never used tap to click on a MacBook! I find three-finger dragging very helpful also.