Is there a way to clone a disk of different size?!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yalag, Sep 3, 2009.

1. yalag macrumors 65816

Im in an urgent situaion where I just bought a new harddisk that is smaller than my old one. It turns out I can't clone the disk if they are different sizes. Is there a way? I've already tried a few programd like ccc.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Can you shrink the partition down (using the Apple utility) in size until it's as small as the new drive, and then use CCC or SD to clone it?

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If the source takes up more space than the destination has on it, then no.

4. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Then it will not work. The drive you are cloning to needs to be big enough to fit everything on it.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Right... start by deleting stuff or moving it off the drive. Once the contents tke up less space than the formatted capacity of the new drive, try CCC or SD again. If that does not work, then try my above suggestion of shrinking the partition first.

Think about it reasonably... if you have a bookshelf, and it holds 200 books right now, and it's full, and you throw it away and go out and buy a new bookshelf that's half as big, why would you expect all your old books to fit in it?

7. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

Of course what you are saying makes sense but I have already deleted enough stuff such that verything fits into the new drive. The only problem is that the programd still won't let me clone saying that the max size of the drive is bigger than my new drive. It also doesn't allow me to resize the drive. Maybe bcause the drive is a raid?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This would have been useful information many posts ago. ;)

EDIT: Did you try SuperDuper? I don't know about RAIDs, but in general, SD I'm almost sure still has the feature to clone onto a smaller destination drive as long as there's space.

9. yalag thread starter macrumors 65816

mkrishnan: I'm assuming the reason why I can't shrink is because my drive is a raid? So if I clone the whole thing to a external drive, then I should be able to shrink it? I do remember doing some shrinking with HFS+ so this should be ok right?

Then once I have a shrinked drive, I can clone it back to my new internal drive?

10. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

You asking how to pour a whole gallon of milk into a single glass.