Is there a way to control your iPhone's music through iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Mjmar, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

I have my iPhone hooked to my surround sound, and I always need to get up to change the song. (I'm Lazy :D) Is there a way to control my iPhone through iTunes, so I don't need to get out of my computer chair?

2. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I think you got it backwards? :)

Why not use iTunes for your music and use the Remote app on your iPhone to control iTunes? Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can get an Airport Express to connect to your surround sound (streamed from computer), and use iPhone as remote control.

4. Rastikan macrumors newbie

Hi Mjmar,

I am sharing your wish.

As anyone else, one thing that bugs me particularly alot is when I am working at the computer and the the music is stopping because I have to reboot, the computer hanged or crashed on me.

As a driver developer, this happens to me almost on a daily basis, therefore I like my music to come from another standalone device that won't be affected by my experiments. Also, because I do make heavy use of virtual machines, each of which is consuming alot of memory, I tend to restrict the running applications to the very minimal and unfortunately, iTunes is not your 1993-4 Winamp which was taking about less than a megabyte of RAM back then.

So I to would like to find something what would allow me to remotely change playlist, song or even better remotely make new playlists.

The ideal solution would probably be some app. running on the iPhone/iPod implementing a web server that's communicating to the built-in ipod player and would be controllable from most web browser.

Did you find anything such, or any other solution?

5. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

No is the short answer.

If you have got a Universal dock, you can control iPhone with a remote.

The old remote will only let you change the volume, pause/play and skip back and forward in the currently playing album.

(I'm not sure if the new remote lets you access the main iPod menu to change albums.)

6. bayb jezus macrumors newbie

You can get an app called iKeyBoard Remote from the app store on your mac. It connects via bluetooth with your mobile device and then you can control music on your iphone with you computer.