Is there a way to customize the folder listing in the Finder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TaylorJ, Sep 20, 2010.

1. TaylorJ macrumors regular

organize folders in finder in a custom order?

I am making folders for each lecture I have, the names of the folders are the dates of the lectures. Then each folder will have two empty word documents with the date as the name as well, one for the lecture and one for tutorial.

I would like to have it in order and stay that way, right now its all over the place, I've tried organizing by name, and last date modified and no luck.

Any ideas?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What about naming the folders like this:

/ YYYY_MM_DD_subject /

or

/ subject / YYYY_MM_DD_subject_class_xy.doc

?

Or do you have something completely else in mind?

Btw, what do you mean with "all over the place"?

3. TaylorJ thread starter macrumors regular

Well I would like to name them with only the date. I have a folder named "School" in the Documents folder. In that folder I have 4 folders for each class. And in each of those folders I have maybe 15-16 folders for each week of lecture.

By all over the place I mean that I started naming them such as "Sept 23rd", "Sept 30th", "Oct 7th" and they were rearranged by name, so now Oct 7th is the first folder yet that isnt the first lecture, I would like it in order as the lectures happen, if that makes sense.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's why I proposed the "YYYY_MM_DD" scheme, as it would look like this if sorted by name:

2010_09_23
    2010_09_30
    2010_10_07

You can leave the "_" out though. Btw, I would advise to at least add the subject to the daily folder, if you mess something up somehow, or someone with access to you computer, you can still find the right folders.

Example:

2010_09_23_physics_I
    and
    2010_09_23_mathematics_II

are easier to distinguish than

2010_09_23 for Physics I
    and
    2010_09_23 for Mathematics II

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Congrats! Your subject line is incomplete, and so is your quoted half of a question. It was intriguing enough to lure me in, though I usually skip non-descriptive topics.

Anyway, you can set your Arrange by in Show View Options while in Icon View to Snap to Grid. Now you can manually place all icons anywhere you want them. It won't sort or change the rows and columns when the window size is changed, but it gives you absolute flexibility.