Is there a way to delete and replace iCloud bookmarks?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by itsjustmeee, Jan 22, 2012.

1. itsjustmeee, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Somehow my wife's bookmarks found their way onto my iCloud account and if I sync them, they all end up on safari on my macbook pro, iPhone and iPad. I need to just delete them from iCloud and replace them with my bookmarks.
    I've found various rather complicated ways to do this on other sites, but I was wondering if anyone here has had to do that and just how they accomplished it.

Solved.

2. Heateris macrumors member

Can't you highlight multiple items on your MBP and move them to the trash?

3. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I actually spent a good 45 minutes on the phone with 3 different people from applecare. The problem is that you can't just go into your MobileMe account on your browser and edit the bookmarks. You can edit contacts, calendars, etc, but they didn't include bookmarks. I did erase my wife's bookmarks while I had the sync on with my macbook pro, but for some reason, my iPhone didn't delete the erased ones (yes, sync was on), and if I turned sync off on the computer, they would come right back as soon as I turned it back on. So I eventually turned the bookmark sync on with my iPad and my wife's bookmarks showed up yet again on my macbook. I then erased them and that seemed to clear from iCloud. Everything is working fine now. It was funny because Apple had no idea how to actually do it ..... and they kept kicking me up to a higher tech support guy every time.

4. iVoid macrumors 65816

Yeah, I've noticed this syncing of bookmarks doesn't quite work right. And it would be VERY useful if we could see what iCloud has for bookmarks, but now it's pretty much hit or miss if it works for me.

I did eventually get my iPhone and safari bookmarks to sync by deleting the bookmarks.plist on my Mac and then disabling and renabling icloud bookmark syncing on both devices.

Might be worth trying in your case.

5. Heateris macrumors member

I'm glad you got it figured out!

I assumed that when you deleted a bookmark on one device, it gets removed from all devices. That's how it's working for me.

6. 3282868 macrumors 603

I've had the same issue(s) since switching to iOS 5.X and iCloud (even during development for iCloud I filed bugs with Apple regarding this issue).

None of my iDevices (iPhone 4S, iPad 2) and Mac's (2010 Mac Pro and 2011 MacBook Pro) are keeping my Bookmarks in sync even though iCloud is supposed to regulate that service. I simply gave up and use my Mac's for bookmark's and don't even bother with Safari on my iDevices.