Is there a way to delete whatever file you have active ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djsound, Aug 12, 2010.

1. djsound macrumors 6502a

djsound

I want to be able to delete whatever file I have active...like if I open a txt file in Textedit and I see that I do not need it Id like to be able to delete it right then and there. I know I can close it then select it and send it to trash with Command + Delete but thats more work then I'd like and take to much time...anyone know>? osx 10.4.11 thanks!!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'd look into Automator / AppleScript for something like this. It would need to close the file first though because it can't delete a file that's currently in use.

3. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

It would be nice to be able to delete a file that is in use...not being able to seems so "windows xp". as long as it sends it to the trash I don't see what the problem would be =)

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What do you do when the sign on the porta-potty at the beach says "in use"?

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

File locking can be a great annoyance. Most *nix OSs don't bother with it and rely on programmers to create lock files like /tmp/somefileyouhaveopen.lock. On both Linux and Solaris, I have been known to have multiple editor sessions open on the same underlying data files, being careful to refresh before committing changes.

Not OS X. It tries to babysit you just like WinDOS. This means that when you view a file in textedit, you can move it to trash, but you can't empty the trash until you close the textedit session that has the file open. There is probably a workaround in terminal to turn off file locking, but why on earth would you want such a feature as "hair trigger delete?". Take advantage of that extra click involved in closing textedit before deleting the file as an opportunity to recall whether you really need it or not. At the price of storage these days, I have never regretted holding onto files I wasn't sure I needed. I have often regretted deleting things when they were my only copy.

To each his own, but the "feature" you are asking for is not a feature to me. To me it is one less level of safety in holding onto my data. A similar case can be made for "cut and paste". Finder doesn't support it but Pathfinder does. I paid for Pathfinder but rarely use it and even when I do, I rarely use cut and paste. While it may seem like extra handholding about a trivial issue, I rather like that extra click on the way to flushing old data down the toilet. When you consider all the extra clicks and dialogs involved in a Windows environment, this one extra click on the way to deletion seems like a small price to pay for doing things the "Apple way."

This sounds like an opportunity for a third party app "view and nuke". You could browse a bunch files and mark some of them for deletion with one confirmation click at the end. But using textedit and other normal OS X applications in this way locks the files because the OS assumes you are making changes you don't want to lose.

Solaris and Linux are aimed at the workstation market where the programmer is justified saying something like "Shame on you for not saving your work". Since OS X is aimed at average users, I'm very tolerant of Apple's decision to make file locking the default behavior.

6. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

..push it over

think about it...you have a bunch of files (with weird file names) you need to go through and delete. It would be VERY handy to open one and if you don't like it then you hit a key command and it is sent to the trash. Normally now you have to remember the file name, close it and then find it and delete it. That is a lot more work. I do not see the safety part because I am not saying permanently delete it. Just send it to the trash. You could always get it back from there if needed....

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What I usually do is use Quick View in finder. Highlight file, press space to launch quick view, press space to exit quick view, press Apple+Delete to move to trash. Move to next file, repeat.

8. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

actually that sounds about right. I guess I should finally take the plunge and update to Snow Leopard hehe

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Leopard does that too. You have Tiger then?

10. djsound thread starter macrumors 6502a

djsound

Yup!! I just have toooooo much stuff on here and to many apps installed . I do not want to reformat hehe