iPad Is there a way to disable sidebar

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Acorn, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

when I have a browser window open if i swipe left from the right hand side this task list pops up. Its extremely annoying and didnt use to be there several ios versions ago. Is there any way to disable this list. It pops up accidentally when im scrolling with my thumb all the time interrupting my browsing.

2. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're referring to split view. If you select one of those apps from the list it will open on that side bar. You can disable this functionality from Settings->General->Multitasking if it's getting in your way.

3. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

Thank you so much. You saved me a ton of aggravation. cheers.

4. Ron Petersen macrumors newbie

Ron Petersen

How about the "bottom bar" I have the same problem with that and have accidentally muted it and had to google to find out why the sound went out. But I would like to disable that annoying one on bottom as well

5. HiItsMe macrumors 6502

Settings > Control Center
    Turn them off

6. Franniecisco macrumors newbie

Franniecisco

--- Post Merged, May 30, 2016 ---
    Thank you!!! I hate this feature and I'm so glad to be rid of it. :)

7. jagooch macrumors regular

jagooch

Thanks for posting the answer to this. The side bar could be useful if it did trigger every 3 seconds when I did ask for it. Perhaps if they made it more difficult to activate by mistake it would be useful. As it stands, it gets in the way just like Microsoft Clippy used to.

8. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

I have to agree. Maybe a corner swipe, ala Windows 8 style, would actually be better.

9. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I really like the slide-over.... except in iBooks. Then, I tend to drag from the side and... so annoying. I wish there were more granular, app-by-app settings.

10. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

If you swipe from the right side of the screen at the top or bottom, it won't open the overlay. It used to be extremely annoying for me in Safari because I swipe from the left to go back and right to go forward instead of using the arrows, and I would constantly bring up the overlay on accident. Finally figured out if I don't swipe from the middle of the side, it doesn't do that, though it does pull up the arrow to grab and drag out like Control Center and Notification Center do in a full screen app, though you can just ignore that.

11. RedOrchestra Suspended

I really like the slide-over / split-screen feature and use it way more than I thought I would. I just wish more Apps allowed for it / took advantage of it.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I'm surprised Apple didn't just make it so it uses the iPhone version for it so all apps that have an iPhone variation already work with it.

13. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

You can just tap the side (in this case the right side) of the screen in iBooks to advance to the next page. No swipe needed.

14. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

The only app I wish had it now is Hangouts, since I use it for actual Hangouts messages as well as texting. I just want Hangouts on the right 1/3 of the screen and Safari on the left 2/3.

15. Ccollet1 macrumors newbie

Thanks! It is aggravating