Is there a way to download regular MSN on a Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Femme, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Femme macrumors regular

Hi, im new to macbooks, etc.
    I was wondering if there is a way to download regular windows live messenger on a mac, instead of dowloading "windows live messenger for mac"?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They're both the same thing. The "for Mac" just means it's the Mac version of Windows Live Messenger.

3. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Oh.. no they really aren't. The one on Windows is much more enhanced

But to the OP, sorry you can't.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I know that but the basis of the application, it's the same thing without getting too technical with what version has and which version lacks...

5. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Gentlemen, please. It is 100% possible to download the pc version of Windows Live Messenger on a Mac. The problem is actually doing anything with the .exe after it downloads..... :cool:

6. gorn macrumors member

If you're looking for video chat Mercury Messenger supports it on Mac over MSN: http://mercury.im/ But it's definitely not the actual windows live messenger.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

What about running it in a VM using something like VMware or parallels? Seems like a pretty workable solution to me.

8. Femme thread starter macrumors regular

if anyone can, please help! the messenger for mac bores me to death:mad:

9. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Have you tried this suggestion made just above your post?

10. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

You need to install it in a virtual machine.

Indeed the windows live messenger is much superior than the mac equivalent which is unstable, lacks some features and has much slower file transfer speeds.

11. Z06jerry macrumors regular

12. Femme thread starter macrumors regular

i might be just stupid but WHAT is VM?

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if you do not care about audio/video chatting with MSN Messenger, then i would say try Adium instead. highly customizable and wonderful software. the only thing lacking is the audio/video capabilities.

14. Chromide macrumors newbie

I have been using a Mac at work which is helping hold me over until the new MBPs are out. As I am a long time windows and linux user pidgin was my messenger of choice. After getting on OS X I have to say that IMO Adium puts everything I have ever used to shame.

15. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Yeah, I've tried it and it also doesn't work for me + it's buggy as hell. I wonder why MS released this "beta" publicly ! It really unusable.

16. 1ofthedavids macrumors regular

Because people kept b*tching about m$ not releasing the beta to the public in March like they said they would, so they released it. Now that it's out, everyone is wondering why it's so buggy. Well, it's stamped BETA for a reason folks.

17. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I think running VM's is a little too complicated for the OP considering the type of question he's asking. It's kind of over kill too just for a chat program.

The OP can look into Cross Over. It's a way to run windows applications directly on the Mac. It doesn't work with all apps though so you'll have to see if it works with what you want.
    http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

Another solution is to look for a Mac app that you'll like instead of trying to run the same windows apps. That is after all why you switched right? Look into Adium. It's a great chat client for Mac that works with many different chat apps (aim, google talk, yahoo etc).

18. Femme thread starter macrumors regular

Im willing to try. What IS VM?

19. mikereal macrumors member

genius... pure genius... this MADE MY DAY!
    :D:D

20. silexh macrumors member

silexh

Hi, a VM is short for Virtual Machine. A VM is basically a program that simulates a computer. You can install windows (or linux) on it and use it as a regular computer. Your screen is the window of the VM.
    Because you basically use your mac as 2 computers this can slow down your computer. Also it is not very easy to set up and use. Certainly not for msn messenger.
    Personally I never liked msn in the first place: it has a very cluttered interface and is not customizeable enough. Because of this I've always used 'boring' alternatives.
    It seems for what you want your options are limited to:
    -Use msn for mac
    -use an alternative (I too recommend Adium)
    -Try to use the program mentioned above to run msn for windows.

Also, you've come to a geek forum -not all geeks understand average users, try to read past that.

Good luck!

21. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Rather that setting up a VM (vitual machine) have you asked your PC friends if they would be willing to use Skype? Skype works really well for PC < -- > Mac.

http://www.skype.com/welcomeback/

22. Femme thread starter macrumors regular

asking all my 1000+ contacts to switch to skype might be hard.

23. Z06jerry macrumors regular

Ask those that you want to video chat with to use Skype, and use Adium for the rest (as recommended by PlaceofDis above).

]http://www.adiumx.com/