Is there a way to email 720P video uncompressed?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

The title pretty much sums it up, I want to be able to email a video shot with the IP4, but not have it compressed, is it possible? Thanks.

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You're better off uploading it someplace and sending the recipient a link. I don't know of any other way off-hand to send something that big through email.

3. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

Not from the phone, you have to sync the video then e-nail it from a computer.

4. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

1 second of video at 1280x720 resolution, just 1 second of it, fully raw and uncompressed would work out to a file ~30 megabytes in size so... no, you're not gonna be emailing a file like that. 30 second clip? Close to 1 gigabyte... :D

Thankfully, compression does exist.

5. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really, the video the IP4 shoots averages 30MB per second!!!??? Well in that case, guess I won't be emailing them any time soon. :)

OK, so, what alternatives are there besides uploading it to you computer? Are there any Photobucket type sites for video of this resolution, without severe compression?

6. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

But the iPhone compresses that so you'll never get a video that's comparable to 30mb a second

7. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

I've been looking for something similar.. Not found anything of yet. How about Mobileme?

8. markel253 macrumors regular

Not for email - but if you want to upload uncompressed video to any combination of sites - including YouTube, Facebook, MobileMe, Twitter, and over 100 more - you can try a free app called PIXELPIPE.

It was recommended to me and works fine. Just be prepared for long upload times. I found that a minute of video took about 15 minutes to upload.

But you can upload to multiple sites just as quickly as to a single site.

9. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

h.264 is the compression format/encoding done on video footage that's recorded off the camera. It gets really complicated really fast but basically h.264 is a highly efficient encoder, and no it doesn't mean it's recording 30 megabytes per second. If you were recording raw footage it would be that large, but the video stream is pulled from the camera, passed to the h.264 encoding chip on the iPhone 4 and then "crunched" down to size before being written to the storage.

Also, note that h.264 is the video encoding format, not audio which typically in Apple's use is AAC, so you end up with a QuickTime .mp4 file (mp4 is a container format because it "contains" two streams of data - one audio stream and a video stream, although it can contain other stuff too...). Basically when you're done you should have an *.mp4 file, perhaps an *.m4v (they're just the file extensions, and mp4 and m4v are effectively the same thing with some minor differences).

I didn't mean to imply that's how large your footage it - it's just a statement of technically how much data is being crunched in real-time. 1280x720 footage at 30 fps works out to about 30MB/s but since it's being crunched, again very efficiently, it'll result in a file that's probably hundred kilobytes per second, if that much. Do a test recording at 1280x720 for 30 seconds and then transfer the file to your computer, see how large it is, and use that as your baseline for comparison.

A realistic rate would be something like 15MB for a full minute of video with "normal" h.264 compression, meaning the default levels - that's 15 megabytes for a clip about 60 seconds long, give or take a few megs... if you decrease the resolution, the resulting file size drops as well.

10. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Does it run in the background so i can do other stuff while it's uploading.

EDIT - Nevermind, it does - i just read the description and downloaded.

11. advres Guest

advres

Send it to your computer, zip the video and upload it to sendspace. When the upload is done, email the link to whomever you want to download and watch the video.

12. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

My uncompressed iPhone HD videos are around 1.25 MB per second.