Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macswitcha2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
I am still deciding which to get. If there is a way to get 3G on the wifo one, than I will go with the wifi one and save money.

BacklitFirefly

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2009
Sandhills Area, North Carolina
Lots of ways. You could use the plan on your current data enabled cell phone, provided your carrier allows it. Or you could get that portable wifi device from Verizon and a plan for it, and you could use that with several devices -- not just your iPad. :cool:

suffy67

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2009
Tether Iphone

Hello

I tether my 32GB to my jail broken 3GS iPhone using mywi.

Very good

Suffy

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
I am still deciding which to get. If there is a way to get 3G on the wifo one, than I will go with the wifi one and save money.

Only by tethering to an existing 3G phone. You could do that with jailbroken iPhone, or you could buy the unlimited data plans from either Verizon or Sprint and tether. IIRC, those plans are $60/month, so it would cost you twice as much per month as a iPad with 3G, although you'd be saving $130 one time up front.

Additionally, for that $130, you get GPS on the 3G iPad, the wifi version doesn't have that, FWIW.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009

To give the best answer for your situation, what type of 3G capable device do you have now?

BigdaddyMBP

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2008
NYC
Palm Pre / Moto Droid

Palm Pre has a built in FREE hotspot for Verizon. Got the wife the phone for $49 and now when we travel turn on the hot spot and use it for MBP and IPAD.

Also you can jailbreak the moto droid real easy and do the same thing. Now I pay one $30 data plan with Verizon and can use up to 5 devices... and it is cheaper the MYWI.

atuarre

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
For those advising the OP to tether his device with an existing phone, I thought wireless companies could see tethered data usage and bill you additionally for using your phone in a tethered state without subscribing to their individual tethering plan?

squint0241

macrumors member
May 10, 2008
For those advising the OP to tether his device with an existing phone, I thought wireless companies could see tethered data usage and bill you additionally for using your phone in a tethered state without subscribing to their individual tethering plan?

They bill you based on total usage (i.e., your carrier data plan), not the number of devices hanging off of it (tethered). The iPhone data plan is unlimited. So, I tether my iPad to it wirelessly when I'm out and about. Have been tethering my MBP to my iPhone for about a year now and haven't seen any increase in my bill. Multiple devices...one payment...nice... BTW, I use MyWi from Cydia for tethering goodness...:apple:

Sinfire

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Most of the cell carriers have these portable wifi devices that allow you to use a wifi enabled device over their network. You can even get speeds faster than 3G by getting a 4G device from Sprint.

Keep in mind, if you stick with the base wifi iPad, you will not have the GPS capabilities that are used by a lot of programs.

lokerd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Beaumont
Are there any other options than sprint and verizon? I see virgin has a device, but it is USB. Are there others stand alone products coming?

I have ipad wifi. Although I am willing to get another 3g, I just want to make sure I is the best option. My wife and I both have itouchs (actually they are origianl iPhones with no service). But I would want to provide her with wifi with either a stand alone or an ipad 3g. She will probably also keep my wifi ipad.

I am on the sprint network already…stuck on an older plan with a centro which is the last smart phone slowed on the plan I have with out paying another $75 per month.

Thanks for any additional suggestions that aren't already listed her I just feel like there must be another solution. If only just about to come out.

rcollins325

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2010
Los angeles
just returned my wifi for 3g i love it too much but you can jailbreak and iphone less than 3.1.3 and use it as a wifi spot on the iphone than connect the ipad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.