Is there a way to get audio from my DVR into my iMac?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by deekaye, Mar 23, 2011.

1. deekaye macrumors newbie

Hi there:

I am NOT tech savvy, but have a Dishnet DVR totally full of YEARS of my old pastor's sermons. He has retired and I would truly love to be able to transfer the audio sermons over to be MP3s on my iMac, so I could hear them in my iPod and free up the DVR to actually watch & record TV (LOL!)

If I have to somehow transfer the whole video as well into iMovie (which I have never used and know zero about!) just to get the audio, would that work? or is there some easier way to do this?

I am on an iMac 5,1 that I got in 2007 and am running OS 10.4.11.

Any help you could provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

Dee

2. elbunslip macrumors newbie

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

No need to transfer video if you don't need it. Connect a cable from the DVR' "Line-Out" jacks to the mac's "Line-In" jacks. Likely you will need a special cable to do this. They are not expensive. THen I'd use Garage Band to record the audio. Set up a stereo "real instrument" (or "vocal") in GB and start recording then press play in the dvr. later stop both. trimm off the dean space from both ends of the recording and save. It is easy to move the resul to iTubes from GB.

Youu ay need to watch some tutorial videos about GB and you should buy the cable from a place that has good sales people (Try Sweetwater, but certainly NOT Amazon) ell the sales guy your DVR has "left and right RCA" and the Mac has 1/8th inch stereo" if that is in fact what you have.

The person who recommended Audio Hijack must have assumed the recording as already on the MAC