Is there a way to get MyWi without rock at all on iPhone 4?

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2009
Basically like it says. I don't want rock, does the previous way of adding rock then buying it then deleting rock and mywi then downloading in cydia work with this new version?

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
Basically like it says. I don't want rock, does the previous way of adding rock then buying it then deleting rock and mywi then downloading in cydia work with this new version?
They're working on a Rock-free version for Cydia

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
There is not an "official" way to have MyWi without Rock at the moment, it is a dependency (if you remove Rock it wil remove MyWi), they already announced that they are working on a rock free version, For what I hear it is ready they are just working in licensing issues.

What about my3g no rock? Same process, i assume?
Same issue, now they haven't said anything yet about a RockFree version as yet.

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Why do you guys not want rock installed? I'm new to this but it seems much better than cydia.

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
Why do you guys not want rock installed? I'm new to this but it seems much better than cydia.
Its a matter of preference really. I have just had bad issues with rock. Sometimes it can cache itself an unlimited amount of times and take up half of your phones space.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Nothing wrong with Rock, however my personally experience with it have been horrible (to be fair I haven't use it for a long time, so it could very well be improve by now), I got countless instability issues, bad garbage collection while uninstalling and more, so I just stay away from it since them.

Many people are happy with it.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
rock had some issues back in May when their error caused a lot of people to have to restore their phones. you can read about it on the modmyi forums. there may be other instances where rock caused issues... but this is the most recent i can think of.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Is there a way to get rid of Rock App once you've installed it? (can you just delete it?)
or will it not be a possible problem as long as you never use it?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
I have been running Rock with MyWi since the new Jailbreak release on iPhone4 with 4.0.1 and have not had one single crash, screen freeze or error yet! No lag and no loss of performance or battery use.

Keeps Fingers Crossed and Knocks on Wood:D

RudyToms

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
Is there a way to get rid of Rock App once you've installed it? (can you just delete it?)
I believe it can be uninstalled through Cydia.

I'm wary of it because of that crash in May that did force me to restore my iPhone. But it has been stable since then.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
What's so bad with Rock? other than having another program on your phone that you will never use but that one time.

Is there a performance decrease when just having it on your phone?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
You can uninstall through Cydia but it will take MyWi with it. If your are not using MyWi then you can uninstall without any issues.

iphonedude123

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
What's so bad with Rock? other than having another program on your phone that you will never use but that one time.

It directly infers with mobile substrate and causes all kinds of compatibility problems with other apps.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
It directly infers with mobile substrate and causes all kinds of compatibility problems with other apps.
Actually, the conflicts were with RockExtensions, and they were a pain. Just having RockApp on your phone is not an issue. It's just there to get the license data resolved. If anything tries to install RockExtensions, run like hell!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ah...so what is mobile substrate? I have that on my phone as well. but i don't know what it is used for.
Mobile Substrate is the framework that Cydia use, is basically the combination of dynamics Libraries that developers and Cydia use to interact with your phone (similar to DLL on Windows). Rocks uses Rockextensions (also a set of dynamic libraries) these 2 don't play nice to each other, and them programs start having issues.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.

Other than what you already heard, a big problem was the cache getting huge due to some issue with Rock. It could essentially take up all the space left on your iPhone. Sure, it’s faster and smoother than Cydia, but for all the reasons you’ve seen in this thread, it is best to stay away from it. However, plenty of people have never had a problem. I’d rather have a stable app like Cydia, which I’m not going to use much, than an app like Rock that could cause me to have to restore my phone.

Ah...so what is mobile substrate? I have that on my phone as well. but i don't know what it is used for.
Leave it alone. In layman terms, tt is the framework which allows all your apps to interface with the springboard. It also acts like a fail-safe or buffer for protecting the rest of the OS from crashes due to a rogue app.

Edit: Or what maturola wrote with more flowery language. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.