Is there a way to get MyWi without rock at all on iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Goodeye, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Goodeye macrumors 6502a

Goodeye

Basically like it says. I don't want rock, does the previous way of adding rock then buying it then deleting rock and mywi then downloading in cydia work with this new version?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I dont think we can right now.
    I really hope so cause Im not bothering with Rock at all.

3. moussekateer macrumors 6502a

moussekateer

They're working on a Rock-free version for Cydia

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

What about my3g no rock? Same process, i assume?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

There is not an "official" way to have MyWi without Rock at the moment, it is a dependency (if you remove Rock it wil remove MyWi), they already announced that they are working on a rock free version, For what I hear it is ready they are just working in licensing issues.

Same issue, now they haven't said anything yet about a RockFree version as yet.

7. mleary macrumors regular

Why do you guys not want rock installed? I'm new to this but it seems much better than cydia.

8. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Its a matter of preference really. I have just had bad issues with rock. Sometimes it can cache itself an unlimited amount of times and take up half of your phones space.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Nothing wrong with Rock, however my personally experience with it have been horrible (to be fair I haven't use it for a long time, so it could very well be improve by now), I got countless instability issues, bad garbage collection while uninstalling and more, so I just stay away from it since them.

Many people are happy with it.

10. outz macrumors 6502

rock had some issues back in May when their error caused a lot of people to have to restore their phones. you can read about it on the modmyi forums. there may be other instances where rock caused issues... but this is the most recent i can think of.

11. DaveNinja macrumors 6502

DaveNinja

Is there a way to get rid of Rock App once you've installed it? (can you just delete it?)
    or will it not be a possible problem as long as you never use it?

12. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

I have been running Rock with MyWi since the new Jailbreak release on iPhone4 with 4.0.1 and have not had one single crash, screen freeze or error yet! No lag and no loss of performance or battery use.

Keeps Fingers Crossed and Knocks on Wood:D

13. RudyToms macrumors newbie

I believe it can be uninstalled through Cydia.

I'm wary of it because of that crash in May that did force me to restore my iPhone. But it has been stable since then.

14. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

What's so bad with Rock? other than having another program on your phone that you will never use but that one time.

Is there a performance decrease when just having it on your phone?

15. SFC Archer macrumors 68000

SFC Archer

You can uninstall through Cydia but it will take MyWi with it. If your are not using MyWi then you can uninstall without any issues.

16. iphonedude123 macrumors member

It directly infers with mobile substrate and causes all kinds of compatibility problems with other apps.

17. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

Ah...so what is mobile substrate? I have that on my phone as well. but i don't know what it is used for.

18. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Actually, the conflicts were with RockExtensions, and they were a pain. Just having RockApp on your phone is not an issue. It's just there to get the license data resolved. If anything tries to install RockExtensions, run like hell!

19. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Mobile Substrate is the framework that Cydia use, is basically the combination of dynamics Libraries that developers and Cydia use to interact with your phone (similar to DLL on Windows). Rocks uses Rockextensions (also a set of dynamic libraries) these 2 don't play nice to each other, and them programs start having issues.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Other than what you already heard, a big problem was the cache getting huge due to some issue with Rock. It could essentially take up all the space left on your iPhone. Sure, it’s faster and smoother than Cydia, but for all the reasons you’ve seen in this thread, it is best to stay away from it. However, plenty of people have never had a problem. I’d rather have a stable app like Cydia, which I’m not going to use much, than an app like Rock that could cause me to have to restore my phone.

Leave it alone. In layman terms, tt is the framework which allows all your apps to interface with the springboard. It also acts like a fail-safe or buffer for protecting the rest of the OS from crashes due to a rogue app.

Edit: Or what maturola wrote with more flowery language. :)