Is There A Way To Have 2 Docks?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by beau21, May 4, 2008.

1. beau21 macrumors member

beau21

hey guys

simple question.. is there a way to have two docks on my desktop?

like one on the bottom AND on the left for example

thanks!

2. Trip.Tucker Guest

Two Apple Macs will give you two docks. Put em side by side ;)

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

The whole point of a dock is to have programs that you use often a keystroke away and easy to access. The more programs you stick in a dock the less useful having a dock becomes.

That said 2 accounts on the same machine could do it for you. I bet there is a way and some resourceful hacker has done it.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I don't know for certain, but I would think not. It'd be like trying to run two versions of the same application at the same time...that usually doesn't work out too well.

why would you want two? I ask because there might be a 3rd party solution that would give you the results you want.

on another note: Leopard has a the "Spaces" feature, which is a pretty neat way to separate things if that's what you're shooting for. I don't use it, but I've toyed with it and it looks pretty cool.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/spaces.html

5. weizilla macrumors regular

I was hoping there was a way to do this. I think this would be really useful, at least for me. I'm still trying to get use to the widescreen and shortness of my macbook screen so I put my dock on the left side to maximize the vertical space (essential when programming).
    I think having 2 docks would be great because then I could put one on either side of my screen and do something where all my apps are on the left dock and all my documents are on the right. Also, since my dock is smaller because it's vertical, the icons get really small when I have even a moderate number of apps open. This would greatly solve that problem.

6. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

i dont think theres a way to do that, but theres a way to have many virtual docks and switch between them though. I think the program that does it is called iDock

7. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

8. reubs macrumors 68000

Here's a simple workaround that gives you access to some apps, and you can keep documents in your actual dock. You could also try Quicksilver, or I wounder if a smart folder of recently opened apps and documents down in your doc would be helpful.

http://www.usingmac.com/2008/5/2/finder-icons-on-toolbar

9. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Mac OS X only uses one Dock. I suggest using DragThing, however. Far more powerful tool, and can even completely replace the Dock if you want.

10. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

wow thnx for that! its great!