Is there a way to have an iPhone and no data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by michael31986, Oct 8, 2012.

1. michael31986 macrumors 68030

I want to get my dad an iPhone but he doesn't need data. He is old school but knows how to use the iPod touch. So anyway is their a way to jail break it and then that way AT&T doesn't know you have an iPhone.

2. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

unless the carrier you are interested in offers a no data plan, there can't be a work around, don't you think?

3. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

Considering there is a work around for lots of things there might be one. For example maybe jailbreak it that way AT&T thinks its a different phone.

4. huddlebum macrumors newbie

yes... the iphone must already be activated, but all you have to do is put his SIM card in it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No.
    Only if you go prepaid.
    Even if you jb it they know what phone you're using and will automatically add an iPhone data plan to that line.

6. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

That's weird that jailbreak can't change this. Ugh I was trying to look for a phone for AT&T that doesn't need data but has a good keyboard and etc

7. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

8. GeekDeja macrumors newbie

I used my iphone 3g without data package about 2 years with att, now my dad is using my old iphone 4 without data package. If you didnt signed a contract with data package. They cant force you to add data package for that line. :)

9. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

But he has to upgrade to the iPhone. Idk I'm almost positive u need data and dad doesn't want prepaid

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Consider yourself lucky.
    Many many others tried the same and got a text from AT&T and the mandatory iphone data plan added. Even if they didnt sign a contract with data or any of that. Not saying its impossible but their system eventually detects it sooner or later.
    Its a risk but if you can get away with it for a while go for it.

11. EcuadorianMami macrumors regular

i'm wondering the same for my dad...he has tmobile though...he has pre-paid with tmobile...if he gets the iphone he can use it with the prepaid??..they have $60 a month with 2gb data...

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, with tmobile he will be fine.
    They wont add it automaticly and with prepaid also he will be ok.

13. EcuadorianMami macrumors regular

Cool, Thanks!!

14. michael31986 thread starter macrumors 68030

15. GeekDeja macrumors newbie

Att knew i had iphone at the begining. when i log in to my account page, all the iphones show up. I heard about people getting text messages from att about iphona data plans. However I never got text message from att. Keep that in mind that before using iphone with that line, the line's data capability should be blocked by calling att. Before inserting the sim to the iphone.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it will show up listed on the account page the minute you will put your sim inside and turn on the iphone. AT&T and carriers in general know what device you're using to access and connect to their network.
    But their billing system will not catch it right away. For some it takes weeks, others months.
    Wether you put a data block before or not doesnt make any difference. Its their policy and they enforce it.
    A few people like you get away with it. One of my family members was using a very old sim card in an iphone back from the cingular days that wasnt 3G capable and maybe why he's been using an iphone and they still havent added the mandatory iphone data plan.