Is there a way to hide certain files?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rick snagwell, Nov 23, 2011.

1. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

im on lion...i know how to make it so all hidden file show/hide via terminal.

is there any software/tweak that i can right click a file, and have an option to hide just that one?

thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You could make an Automator workflow that does it and use the Automator sub-contextual menu to trigger it.

3. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

Intell, way outta my league with that talk. is there a link you can provide to help me learn this? thanks

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Copy the attached file to ~/Library/Services/ and unzip it, extract the two services from the Archive folder and place them in the Services folder. Delete the .zip and the Archive folder. Then right click on a folder or file and select "Hide Files-Folders" to hide and "Unhide Files-Folders" to unhide them. You may have to make the Services folder and restart Finder. Note: This will only work in Snow Leopard and Lion.

Attached Files:

5. rick snagwell, Nov 23, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

works awesome. thanks for your time and help.

how do i change the text in the right click menu?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Right click the service you wish to rename, select Show Package Contents, open the Contents folder, open the Info.plist with Text Edit, change the "Hide Files-Folders" to what ever you want, Save.

7. rick snagwell thread starter macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

thanks.

where do i begin to learn this stuff...not coding so much. but ways to tweak my osx?

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Ummm... Not sure. Not sure how I even learned what I know. Google is helpful. MacWorld magazine was/is helpful. Some of the more power user stuff I picked up from other people and Apple tech classes. A good start for some simpler things would be http://hints.macworld.com/. Remember, above all else, you are no longer on a Windows machine. Go exploring within your Mac's system. Just don't delete anything or change anything without first backing up.