Is there a way to hide your name

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pleasehelp!, Aug 14, 2009.

1. pleasehelp!, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013
  2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could take your name out of Address Book. I believe that would solve the issue.

3. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

I'm confused by your question.

Your "Mac email address"... are you referring to an email address @mac.com? Or are you referring to hiding your contact information?

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I believe they're talking about the contact information in Mail.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Well in the case you can also change it via Mail's Preferences, under the settings for "Accounts".

6. pleasehelp!, Aug 14, 2009

pleasehelp! thread starter macrumors member

7. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're a MobileMe subscriber (what used to be called .Mac), then you cannot change your username. However, you could set up an alias, which would allow you to use a different email address @mac.com.

To do this, you have to sign on to www.me.com. Under the "Mail" app, you want to click the "Settings" gear icon (to the right of the "compose new message" button).

Now, click "Aliases", and set a new email address. Now, you can use this email address, which will be an alternative to having to use your standard username.

8. pleasehelp!, Aug 14, 2009

9. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Are you using the Mail program on your Mac to send your email? Or are you using the MobileMe website?

When you create an alias, you can use either option to send email. So, for example, when on me.com, you will have the choice as to what address you want to send from -- your username@mac.com or your alias@mac.com.

If you're using Mail, however, there's one more step. You need to go to Mail's Preferences (from the "Mail" menu in the menu bar). Then click on "Accounts". With your MobileMe account selected, you'll see a field that says, "Email Address", which lists your username@mac.com. Now, after your username type a comman, and then a spacebar, and then type in the alias address.

Now you can send from either the username or the alias in Mail.

10. pleasehelp!, Aug 15, 2009

11. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Sorry, I had a typo. :eek:

You just need to put in the alias after your username in the "Email Address" field. So, right now, it just says "username@mac.com". You want to change it to look like this:

Code:
    username@mac.com, alias@mac.com
    Just put a comma followed by a space, and then the alias address. If for some reason, you STILL aren't able to send email, I'd try talking to MobileMe support. They're open 24/7 for chat sessions. :)

12. pleasehelp!, Aug 15, 2009