Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Is there a way to keep a fridge at a constant temperature?

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yes. Here is what you have to do:

1) Unplug the fridge.
2) Open the door to the fridge.
3) Wait for the fridge temperature to match the ambient temperature in the room.
4) Keep the ambient temperature constant.

There you go! Please let me know if you have further questions.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Set the thermostat?

Seriously - I think you might need to add a couple of details to this question to allow for more than snarky answers.... Of which mine was just the first, I'm sure. (Mangled Sentence, Eh?)

Update: ooops.... I just noticed who the OP is. Never mind...

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Yes. Here is what you have to do:

1) Unplug the fridge.
2) Open the door to the fridge.
3) Wait for the fridge temperature to match the ambient temperature in the room.
4) Keep the ambient temperature constant.

There you go! Please let me know if you have further questions.

Logic fail. Unless the room is a constant temperature, the internal temp of the unplugged, open fridge will vary with the room temp.

OP - keeping the fridge fairly full, only adding small amounts of room temp material at a time, and minimizing open door time will all serve to keep the temperature more constant.

And you could always stay inside the fridge to make sure it's constant.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Logic fail. Unless the room is a constant temperature, the internal temp of the unplugged, open fridge will vary with the room temp.

I thought I covered that in item 4. And do I really have to put smiley faces on the end of my post?

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
I thought I covered that in item 4. And do I really have to put smiley faces on the end of my post?

No...I got the humor. ;)

With Waloshin, however, the next thread will be "How do I keep my dorm room at a constant temperature?"

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Ok ,but doesn't the fridge get colder the longer it's running with the door closed?

Edit: I'm trying to use a mini fridge as a wine cooler ,but it seems to be getting colder all the time. And i'm too cheap to buy a wine cooler.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
No, at some point the temperature reaches the set point of the thermostat and the compressor shuts off. When there is enough heat gain (through the natural warming by the external room temperature), or by allowing replacement of cool internal air by warmer ambient room air by opening of the fridge, or by the heat gain of adding room temperature items to be cooled down, the thermostat is tripped, the compressor kicks on, and the internal temp is cooled back down to the set temperature.

Last edited:

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Ok ,but doesn't the fridge get colder the longer it's running with the door closed?

He's right you know. We once went away for a month, and left a partially opened bottle of wine in the fridge. Before closing the wine bottle up I had used one of the those nitrogen injector kits to keep the wine fresh.

When we got home, everything in the fridge was frozen, and the wine bottle was full of liquid nitrogen!! Seriously...
;)

UPDATE: It may be possible to get a new thermostat that reads in a range that is appropriate for wine, vs a regular fridge. We had to do something similar to our bar fridge. Essentially, there is a small white box (the new thermostat) epoxied to the inside of the fridge, with a wire that runs to compressor. The wiring from this new thermostat is wired into the compressor instead of the old thermostat - that has physically remained in place, but is no longer connected. In your case, you just need a thermostat that reads in a warmer range than most fridges normally run at.

Check with an appliance store that works on older equipment. A place that only does warranty repairs won't have the parts, but a place that works on older appliances will probably have the new thermostat you want.

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Edit: I'm trying to use a mini fridge as a wine cooler ,but it seems to be getting colder all the time. And i'm too cheap to buy a wine cooler.

You seem like more a wine cooler guy than wine, or was it whine? Anyway, to see if it's too cold for the wine, stick your tongue on the metal part of the freezer part. If it sticks, you're good to go.

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
You seem like more a wine cooler guy than wine, or was it whine? Anyway, to see if it's too cold for the wine, stick your tongue on the metal part of the freezer part. If it sticks, you're good to go.

rdowns, do behave, that's a good lad. :)

Turn the sucker to the highest temperature possible, and let your wine "breath" for a while, while it warms to your desired temperature.

Maybe get one of those magical bands for your bottles, that shows the temperature of the bottle. Like a mood ring, but for vino. :p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.