Is there a way to keep the optical drive from loading all the time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by McToma, Aug 5, 2008.

1. McToma macrumors newbie

Whenever I start my computer up or wake it from sleep the optical drive loads and it sounds like a 1980's VCR. Why does it do this and is there any way to keep it from doing so. I hardly ever use the drive and would prefer to forget it exists.

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Do you think about short sound like "click"? Otherwise, mine is silent.

3. Fabiano macrumors regular

4. McToma thread starter macrumors newbie

It makes a noise like it is trying to load a disc or see if there is one in the drive at start up, but there is never a disc in there. I was hoping there would be a way to tell the computer not to do that.

Buying the air would solve that issue, but presents many larger ones. I much prefer the 15.4" matte display on the MBP, the two USB ports, and the support for 30" display...

5. Fabiano macrumors regular

well, So I think there is not a solution for your problem... why the noise bother you so bad? just forget it an enjoy the great machine you have :)

6. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Frankly, I don't know how to get rid of this sound. It's very short, so I ignore it.

7. operator207 macrumors 6502

I am sure there is a way to get rid of it, but do you really want to? What happens of you have to reinstall? You now have to reverse whatever it was that you did, and without an OS to help you either do it, or remember how to do it.

8. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Maybe just take a butter knife to it and rip out the drive all together. Seems a lot smarter than listening to a click at start up.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The issue is that the drive "tray" is always considered open when you don't have disc in it, so whatever you do, it will always "close" the tray to check if there is a disk inside, just like on any tray loading drive will retract the tray when you first boot up the computer.

10. bsheridan macrumors 6502

bsheridan

Are you talking about the 'moo' sound before the chime starts?

Its the HD!

11. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

This page from Apple Support might help you. You'll be able to tell if its a normal sound at least from here.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1723

As for disabling it, that I don't know. I suspect its like what an earlier poster said about it being akin to a CD/DVD tray on a desktop computer being retracted on power-on.

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i like the sound, it lets me know my computer is waking up:)

to get rid of it, just stick a disk in, it doesn't make the noise then

13. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

You can't stop it.. The system does it as part of the "power on" tests.

[​IMG]

However, if you don't intend on using the SuperDrive for anything. You could take the drive out completely and replace it with a OptiBay, that'll allow you to install a second HD, could be used for RAID0 configuration or as a Backup drive.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yum 1TB RAID 0!

15. flamejob macrumors member

flamejob

I know exactly what the OP is talking about and it is really irritating, especially when I wake up early and want to use (her) MB in bed; it makes this MEE MEE MEEEREEEE noise that sometimes wakes her up.

Surely there should be some kind of sensor to tell the machine when there is a disk in there. It must use up some power too.

[Edit] Just found those sounds on the support page and this one is going to become my ringtone... nice and mechanical, it kinda sounds like a clockwork mouse trying to escape from a trap. http://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/51/3054781201801120/www.info.apple.com/images/kbase/305478/305478_mbinsert.aiff

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Yep!!
    That's the one. It's PERFECTLY NORMAL for the MBP to make this sound. If mine stopped, I'll be worried the drive ceased to exist, or er.. worst, died.

Honestly I don't know why it annoys so many people....
    - personally I'd love my partner to stop snoring, that's more annoying!! It's not something a lady should be doing.. arghhhhh!!!

17. 173080 macrumors 6502

I hate that sound too, especially because I never use the superdrive. Maybe I'll just open up my MBP and unplug the damn thing. I'll remove it if it doesn't mess with the balance that bad, there's no point in lugging around a superdrive 100% of the time when I'm going to use it 0% of the time.

That OptiBay looks good. A 7200rpm RAID-0 array would be a lot more useful than the superdrive.

I'd much prefer a second battery in place of the superdrive though.